Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tierod upgrade??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by short sub, Feb 20, 2005.

1. short sub

short sub Registered Member

after a weekend of wheeling my tie rod lost. i have full hydrualic steering and completely destroyed it as did a friend of mine with hydro assist. i was wondering what type of material would be best to make a new tie rod out of that would hold up to our hydrualic setups. thank you ryan

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

DOM tubing probably would be best. something like 1.25" or 1" with like .250" wall. That would be pretty beefy.

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Coupled with a massive heim joint.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ORD makes a 1.5" OD .375 wall tie rod. I've never bent mine...but I haven't put it on the truck yet either :grin:

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have the 1.5"x .375"wall tie rod from ORD. It is BEEFY. I have hydro assist and all is well with about 6 months of use on it...

Chris

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am running a 1.5" .375 wall Tierod from 4x4 Iron in my truck. It is stout as hell. I have smacked it pretty good on rocks and it doesn't even have a hint of a bend in it. I rock crawl so I have hit it a fair number of times sofar with good success.

If you wanted real beef you could get a 3/8" thick tierod like I have and sleeve a piece of 1.75" .120 wall tube on the outside of that making your tierod walls .500" thick. If you bend that you have some real problems.

I was told with the 3/8" tierod like I got that if I ever bent my tierod I would most likely have just broken something else in my steering system or front axle at the same time like a TRE, knuckle, etc.

I am known to drive by brail sometimes and my 3/8" tierod has served me well sofar.

Harley

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

:haha:

Harley,

I know what you mean by that.....I have a rockstomper tie rod and poison spyder diff cover on my D44 and I have the ultimate cofidence in strength when it comes to bashing the front end. I just drive until I get stuck (which never happens of course:grin:)