Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TIG nozzles, question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tx_sub, Mar 25, 2005.

1. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

I need to get some nozzles for a tig machine. I know there are different types. What are each for? different types of metal, gas, position? I will be using it for chromoly steel and aluminum. The machine is a lincols square wave tig 175 pro. Thanks.

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

The only time I have used different nozzles was to fit the torch into a tight spot. I think it is just for getting the gas into the welding area.

3. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

figured as much. I think I will get a couple of each just to be safe. Anyone else want to put in their .02?

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

go to local welding shop and ask them . thay will know or know of some one that does. or find the guy in your area thats the weld any thing guy and ask him. just a idea.

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

this is the only reason I have ever used a smaller cone/nozzle.

6. dcubb

dcubb 1/2 ton status

Another item to consider is types of collet bodies. Gas lens type (kind with screens) provides much smoother and even gas coverage, especially important with aluminum. Requires a different nozzle than a standard collet body. I think general rule of thumb on nozzle opening size is at least 4 times the size of the electrode. But it really boils down to what you need to get the job done. BTW, the lincoln SW 175 is a awesome machine, just somewhat limited in terms of capacity with aluminum. Anything over 1/8" was pushing it with mine. Got tired of waiting for it to cool down, traded up for a Precision Tig 275.
    Getting back to nozzle size, I use a #6 on almost everything except aluminum, then usually go with #8. Hope this helps

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

What he said.

One way to help yourself when welding aluminum that's pushing the limits of the machine is to preheat it. I soot the part with a pure acetylene flame, then set up a neutral flame and pre heat. The soot will not burn off until the metal is up to temp. When the soot does burn off, STOP heating that area. You're close to the temp where aluminum looses it's shape.
    If it's a thick part like a cylinder head I also do a post heat b4 letting cool in still air.

8. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

thanks for the replies. i finally found my modern welding textbook. it has info about ALL types of welding processes. you have all been pretty much on the money after my reading up. but i've got no time for typing, i've got metal to burn and sparks to fly:D :D