Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TIG welding Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 13, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

TIG welding Q\'s

Hey, I have some q's for you TIG welders:
    I have never done, or seen TIG welding in real life, so I was wondering, is it sort of like gas welding, just bigger and better? Because it looks like you have a torch and welding rod from pictures ive seen, but I could be wrong!And also how thick of metal can TIG welders weld on? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: TIG welding Q\'s

Good TIG welding is an art form. The heat going into the metal is controlled by both a foot pedal and the size of the gap between the torch and the metal. Filler rod is then used, somewhat similar to brazing, but with MUCH stronger results. TIG is a pretty slow way to weld as compared to MIG or stick welding though.

I've seen automated Dimetrics TIG pipe welders weld up 12-inch diameter schedule 160 stainless steel pipe that was being used to handle the steam coming out of a nuclear reactor and going to the turbines. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The pipe had a wall thickness of an inch or better and was beveled so that the weld could be built up in layers. It took a LOT of passes to complete the entire weld but it was plenty strong enough to easily pass both destructive and X-ray testing and hold up fine against 2500 PSI of steam pressure. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif So the thickness of the metal being welded isn't much of a problem for the right machine.

This Model F rig is on this page simliar to the one I used to work on at the nuke plant: Orbital Pipe Welder It was VERY cool to watch it in action! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The most badass spec? "300A, 100% duty cycle torch" Shazaam!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow, a foot pedal? What does the foot pedal do, and how does it work. thanks, that was a very informational answer /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think the footpedal can pulsate the arc to add heat/remove heat as necessary.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    What does the foot pedal do, and how does it work.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's a variable control for the arc voltage. Think of it as an accelerator pedal for a welding machine. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Woah. Thats pretty cool. How hard is TIG welding to learn? I love welding so I want to explore different welding machines /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. velocitiii

velocitiii Registered Member

If you can gas weld you basically already know how to tig weld. Just learning how to set up the machine and use the equipment will be very easy. Tig welding is lots easier than gas welding, for me anyway. I learned to gas weld first for a few years before I ever even saw a tig. Depending on the machine you get you could weld anything from .015" to whatever. My opinion is that a tig is the best all round welder to have because you can weld almost anything with it. They're kind of pricey though.

8. chevy_muscle

chevy_muscle 1/2 ton status

The foot pedal controls the current, not the voltage. This means that you can set the machine at say.... 140 amps, but then only push the pedal down half way, and you will have about 70 amps at the torch. This gives you a very fine contol over the heat that is applied to the work.

I have never MIG welded, but I have a TIG and I love it. It is slower than stick, but any TIG welder will stick weld too.... two for one in a welder.

A lot of people shy away from TIG and say that it is harder than MIG. That may be so, but only because you use two hands instead of one (you add the filler material with the other hand). Also people say that you need to be using the foot at the same time (both hands and one foot) to operate the pedal, but this is not always true. Some TIG torches have the amprage control on the handle.... and some machines will allow you to 'tap' the pedal (to start the arch) then release it ... weld.... then 'tap' it again (to end the arch).

On some rare situations, you don't need a filler rod if you have a very tight gap.

TIG welding gives a very strong and good looking weld. I love my machine,... and some higher end machines will give Squarewave A/C output for Aluminum welding (as well as some other materials).. and pulsing is another option. (mine does all).

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally find gas welding much harder than MIG or stick. I have never stick welded but I've watched someone TIG and as said above, looks the same as gas welding just with electricity for heat instead of open flame.

I can lay an ok bead with MIG or stick, but I'm not worth squat with a gas welder. To each his own I guess, hopefully one day I can learn to be halfway decent at TIG or gas.

10. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

When he says gas welding, I think he's talking about MIG, not oxy-acetylene. Or, I could be wrong.....

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I can lay an ok bead with MIG or stick, but I'm not worth squat with a gas welder. To each his own I guess, hopefully one day I can learn to be halfway decent at TIG or gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can't even get a good weld from gas welding. But I can with stick and MIG. I cant get the hang of when to add the metal rod part and how much to heat up the metal... I guess I just need practice /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif