Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tight and sticky throttle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gill, Mar 6, 2002.

1. gill

gill Registered Member

Hey guys it been awhile since I have been on, I have a very aggrevating problem that I have been putting off for the longest time. When I push in on the throttle it hangs in the throttle body and then I end up stomping the hell out of it when it finally goes, and I believe it is messing with my TPS and screwing it up also givin it false readings, I have replaced both the sensor and the wiring harness and it still messes up
    So any help on this is very much appreciated or anyone else having this same problem
    Thank Ya
    Gill
    88 K5 350 4" 35x12.50-15

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

take some carb cleaner and clean the butterfly in you tbi or you made need to replace you throttle cable .cleaning it will help alot

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

does it stick if you work the throttle by hand under the hood?

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Throttle body casting is worn. You can have it rebushed with bronze bushings. Personaly I'd just take it to a dealer and have it done, insted of messing around with it your-self.

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I think TWIZ is right. I f you have cleaned everthing and all the sensors are up to par. You might have worn a groove that your butterfly is hanging up on.

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

It's not so-much the throttle blades wearing-into the body, as it is the shaft-bore getting elongated and the blades ending up-binding on the bore. Just to make it clear.

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Gill.

This sounds like the throttle body-bore is worn by the throttle shaft. Causeing the throttle blades to bind in the bore.
    To check. Grab the throttle shaft and wiggle it, it shuold be solid, and only have rotational movement.

I think takeing the throttle body to a dealer, or a shop that is equipped to repair the throttle body is the best, and most efficiant way to go. Because, inorder to repair the throttle shaft bore, it needs to e drilled, reamed, bushed and wedged (all specialt tools)- so I don't think it would be a wise choise to do-it-yourself.

Save yourself some cash and pull the TBI yourself and bring it to the shop. (call 'em beforehand, and get a quote)
    If you do plan on pulling the TBI your-self, the fulel0lines can be tuff to remove, loosen the bolt on the back ofthe head that holds the fuel lines inplace (I thinks it's the same set-up as on IFS trucks ?!!?!) And keep an eye out for the fuel-line O-rings.

Hope this hepls