Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tighten up power steering belt

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by marcus, Dec 31, 2002.

1. marcus

marcus Registered Member

Guys,

This might seems like a really stupid question, but how the hell do I tioghten up the power steering belt on my truck? I replaced the alt belt yesterday and noticed that the PS belt was quite loose. But I couldn't work out which bolts to loosen and it was getting dark and I didn't want to end up with no steering.

thanks!

M

2. marcus

marcus Registered Member

anyone?

basically, which bolts do I loosen up? I looed to me like there were two bolts that help the pump in "runners" and one bolt that the pump pivoted around....is this right?

I am trying to fix this as the truck has developed a very annoying squeaking noise, but I can't locate it. I covered the whole front of the engine with WD40 (a lubricant, not sure if it's the same in the States), but it has made no difference. I'm hoping that what I think sounds like a dry bearing is actually the PS belt slipping. The sound is rev related, not raod speed. Starts on idle and gets more squeaky as you speed up. But it never stops, as in my experience squealy belts do. I may just have to remove one belt at a time until the squeak goes away....then I'll have found the source.

Anyway, please help me! Which bolts do I undo??

TIA

M

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Look for a bolt farthest out from the motor on the PS bracket. If it's going through a slotted slightly radiused hole that's the adjuster bolt. I beleive the PS pump pivots on a stud attached to the head.

I should be able to visualize it exactly as I just installed my hydroboost and power steering a week or two ago...but they say the second thing to go is your memory. (can't remember what the first is/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

I do have an illustration in my Chilton's manual I could scan and upload if you like. It's not the best drawing but I may be able to enlarge it a bit.

Rene

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm not sure how much it will help...

[​IMG]

That's about as good as I could get it...the image should be up on my webshots in a little while. It takes a while before it shows up on my public page. here is the URL, you may be able to magnify the image better there. It should be the last image in the Winter project album...

http://community.webshots.com/album/57606341ttALZR

Rene

5. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

On my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif there are two slotted bolts for adjustment and one pivot bolt. I will loosen the pivot bolt just enough to allow the PS pump to move after the adjustment bolts are loosened. When I get it to the tightness I like, I'll tighten one of the adjustment bolts, then the pivot bolt, then the last adjustment bolt (it's still tough to get tools up in there with enough room to adjust it well). I have had an alternator belt that appeared tight still squeal on my truck, so it might be a good idea to make sure it's plenty tight (maybe I'm getting weak Alt. belts, they seem to stretch after initial install /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif and I end up having to re-tighten the belt within a week).

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. marcus

marcus Registered Member

thanks for that guys....I thought that there were two adjusting bolts/nuts and one pivot one, it's just that most anciliaries only have the one adjuster and I didn't want the front of the engine fall off when I loosened the wrong nut....

I'll give it a go this weekend when I'm actually home and it's light....

Thanks

m

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yep 2 of them on the power steering pump, I don't know why.

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I would re-check your alternator belt first. The 6.2L loves to eat alternator belts. When you install a new belt, you need to run it for a few hours, and then re-tighten it again. This will help it last longer. There are also various pulleys on the market to help make the alternator belt life longer. It's a lot easier to adjust the alternator belt tension than it is the PS pump!

Do you have a/c? If so, there should be a second belt running around the PS pump and the a/c compressor. If you do, then I doubt it's your PS squealing. Even if the lower PS pump belt is loose, it probably won't squeal. If you don't have a/c, or it's not hooked up, then it's very likely it could be squealing.

BTW...did you get any WD-40 on the belts? If so, you'll need to replace them. The lubricant will soak into the belts and they'll never get a good bite again.

Casey

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did you happen to check the fluid level in the PS pump? How old is the pump and has it ever been replaced?

10. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Arveetek ~ do you have any links or suggestions on those aftermarket pulleys? I seem to go through alternator belts every 3 or so months... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you are eating belts on a regular basis, you should check the alignment.
    Sometimes the pulleys are not perfectly ligned up, you might need to shim it with washers.
    What hapens is that the belts get shaffed on the edges of the pulleys.
    I replaced a pump once and I had to shim it 1/2" to line it up.

12. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Alternator belt life improvements:

The 6.2L seems to "eat" alternator belts. You can put a brand new one on, and in just a couple of days, it's started to squeal again. It's as if the belt has stretched. That's because it has. I think the vibration and strong diesel pulses stretch the belts.

Here is what I've come up with to fix this problem once and for all, thanks to some other fine folks:

(1) Change the pulley. Suggested by a member at the DP:

"I have been reading about and experiencing the slipping alternator belt problem since the beginning of my two years on this board. Well thanks to Chetty Cherry of the Texarkana Arkansas NAPA store, I have a simple CHEAP fix!
    I kept going by for a new belt about every 6 months and just lived with the squeal after engine start. Last week, I asked if he had ANY ideas on how to end this problem. Well, the next day he hands me a box with a new alternator pulley in it. This pulley is larger in diameter than the stocker by about 1/2 inch and machined from solid metal instead of pressed tin. I put it on yesterday and then turned on the lights and blowers for about 10 minutes to discharge the batteries before starting. Upon starting the truck, NO SQUEALING! I even floored it from idle with all lights, blowers and A/C on... still NO SQUEAL! Drove it 200 miles yesterday, belt is fine and not a sound.

If you want to put an end to your alternator belt blues, here is the brand and part number for the pulley. I didn't even have to use a longer belt, but some of you may need a 1/2 inch more at most. It is available at any NAPA store

BRAND NAME: NAPA RAYLOC

PART NUMBER: 13-594P

This will run you $17.00 to $23.00, depending on your level of discount at the store you deal with. I'd love to hear back from some folks to see if this works for everyone!"

(2) Change to a wider belt. Try a Gates 5725 or NAPA 49012.

As I mentioned earlier, when you change the belt, re-tighten it after driving, no more than a day later. If it starts to squeal just once, it will never have a good grip again. If you follow this procedure, you shouldn't have any more problems. I used to go through belts all the time as well. I haven't changed the pulley yet, but keeping the belt tight like I mentioned has cured my problems.

Good luck!

Casey

13. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'll definitely look into that pulley. I've been tightening them after initial use, but only after I heard the first squeal /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, that would explain why they still wear pretty quick. I have looked at my pulley alignment, and it is skewed a bit, but I can't see where I could shim it unless I had a wedge shaped washer /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I just used regular washers that I filed into a wdeged shape. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. marcus

marcus Registered Member

The noise have isn't a squealing form a slippy belt. It's a squeaking noise, metal on metal like a worn/dry bearing. The slipping belt was cured by the new alt belt.

I think the bearings on either the PS pump or the AC compessor are on their way out....is it easy to replace them?

16. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I just got done replacing the PS pump belt. I took my a/c compressor off a while back to do some repairs, and haven't got it back on yet. In the meantime, my PS belt started slipping. It was stretched beyond use, so I put on a new one. It stayed on for 2 days and then got thrown off and wrapped around the fan blades. I looked a bit closer and found the alignment was off. I put two washers behind the pivot and front adjusting nuts. This seemed to bring the PS pump pulley into alignment with the others.

There is a pivot nut at the top, and adjust nut on the front bottom, and an adjustment nut at the bottom pointing towards the rear. It's a real pain to adjust. I ended up using a small monkey wrench to grip the pump bracket, and pull straight up while tightening the front adjustment nut. I tried getting to it from the bottom, but there just isn't room. I think all is well now.

Sorry, can't help you with the bearings question. I think your idea of removing one belt at a time is the best thing to do to help isolate the noise.

Casey