Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tightening down the hardtop

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cornfield creations, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Ok this may sound like a dumb question, but I am gonna ask it anyways.
    When we restored my blazer we took the hardtop off for the first time in it's life to put new bedsides on. When we put it back on with all new rubbers and tightened it down I noticed a crack formed on the passenger side on the corner of the window, closest to the cab. It goes downward about an inch.

Is there a sequence in tightening down the hardtop? I am hoping I can loosen it back up and do it right and maybe it'll close up some.

Thanks!

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There is a recommended procedure.
    What year is your K5 (might want to put that in your profile as well)? There's different procedures for '73-75 and '76-'91. And probably '69-72 as well.

3. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

4. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i dont know if there is a proper way to tighten them up or not, when i put my top back on, i tighten the bolts on the cab first then the bed. have not had any leaks so far.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, tighten the front ones first, to pull the top towards the front of the truck. Then tighten the ones along the bedsides. If you tighten the ones along the bed first, it can create too much stress in the topper when you tighten the front ones up. :(

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Werd

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Yep, that's the procedure for the '76 and up. Put top on, place all bolts in but don't tighten, then tighten front ones to pull the top forward all the way, then start at the back and and tighten down. I've heard some people tighten the front ones first, then back them off, then tighten down the front rail ones to pull it down in front, then re-tighten the front ones, then the back ones.