Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tightening Rocker arm nuts with hydraulic lifters?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Aug 13, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I have a brand new set of lifters, pushrods, and roller rockers that I'm installing on my freshly rebuilt 88' 350tbi (which also has a new cam). I know that to tighten the rocker arms nuts, you spin the pushrod while you tighten the nut and as soon as you can't spin the pushrod, you tighten the nut 1/2-3/4 turn. Now is there any further adjustment needed since I have hydraulic lifters or is that it? Also, is there any special procedure I need to use since I have aftermarket roller rockers and not stock stamped rockers? Thanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's not until you can't spin the pushrod, it's only until you start to feel DRAG on the pushrod as you spin it. It is a VERY "precise" measurement, as it takes almost no nut movement to go from no drag, to a fairamount of drag.

Make sure on the rockers that the roller tip is not "over center" with the valve closed. You want the roller tip to be slightly "inboard" of the center of the valve stem with the valve closed, as it will roll "forward" as the valve is depressed...if it rolls too close to the edge of the valve stem, you can end up with problems.

That adjustment is governed with pushrod length. I believe most roller rockers are designed to use standard length pushrods, but make sure and double check the pushrods are the right length.

3. BayouBlazer88

[ QUOTE ]
    It's not until you can't spin the pushrod, it's only until you start to feel DRAG on the pushrod as you spin it. It is a VERY "precise" measurement, as it takes almost no nut movement to go from no drag, to a fairamount of drag.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Yeah thats what I meant. And I didn't know that about the roller tip being slightly inward. I'll see what I can do about that. And yes I'm using standard length pushrods. Thanks.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't forget that with new lifters unless you soak them in oil and make sure they get pumped up you can easily overtighten the rocker nuts causing catastrophic failure.

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Pretty much what Dorian Said...

I #1 and work through each valve making sure that the lifter is on the base circle of the cam of the valve I am adjusting...Once the lifter is on the base circle, make sure the rocker nut is loose...so you can freely move the pushrod up and down..Then slowly tighten the rocker nut while you spin the pushrod...As soon as you start to feel ANY drag on the pushrod, stop and verify the point that the drag starts...This is zero lash..then turn the rocker nut 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn....The ideas is to get the plunger in the lifter about 1/4 to 1/2 way compressed in its travel...you can verify that it isn't oo tiget by seeing pusing the push rod into the lifter a bit and it should compress the plunger the rest of the way...I think it is easer with a dry lifter rather than soaking them in oil...

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't forget that with new lifters unless you soak them in oil and make sure they get pumped up you can easily overtighten the rocker nuts causing catastrophic failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's total bullshit. Read your cam maufacturers installation instructions.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    That's total bullshit. Read your cam maufacturers installation instructions.

[/ QUOTE ]

[grabs popcorn...]

This oughta be good..... someone telling Scott he doesn't know anything about engine building. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

Oh, us engine machinists love hearing people tell us we're stupid /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Once zero lash is obtained I usually go 3/4 turn. If you want lots of action on the valve, then you should be running a solid cam /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

On a race engine where hydraulic cams are all you're allowed to run then I do it the old school way, with the engine running and up to temp, I start loosining each rocker arm until it clatters and then obtain zero lash (it quits clattering) and then go like 1/16th of a turn more. That might make 1 or two horse more than the zero lash +3/4 turn....

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

This I guy I know showed me how to do it with the engine running. Its quite cool actually! Makes a mess tho!

10. 4X4HIGH

Well Greg, it doesn't surprise me to see 84 chevy K10 make a comment like that since I seen him start (jeep) in another post recently. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. BayouBlazer88

[ QUOTE ]
    Once zero lash is obtained I usually go 3/4 turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

-I did exactly that. I didn't let the new lifters soak in oil before I installed them though. They are Speed Pro lifters. I hope I'll be ok. One thing I noticed when I was tightening the rockers is that it was hard to turn the first 1/4 to 1/2 turn then it got really easy until the full 3/4 turn. I guess that means the lifter was being compressed. I'm hoping this will suffice. We'll see what happens tomorrow when I start her up.

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well Greg, it doesn't surprise me to see 84 chevy K10 make a comment like that since I seen him start (jeep) in another post recently. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Are you speaking of this post?

Some people will never learn. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. 4X4HIGH

14. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I might not have as much experiance as most of everyone here but I never heard of soaking the lifters. The 3 engines that I have put cams and lifters I only used assembly lube. No problems what so ever. I think as long as your oil pump works then you won't have a problem. I have worked with peolpe who have built engines for a living and they don't soak the lifters. So it must be personnal opinion. There is nothing wrong with soaking the lifters first, but will the assembly lube stick to them?

15. 4X4HIGH

I better make this a little more clear. The person asking about this doesn't seem to have very much experience in adjusting lifters (NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT). I however do not soak the lifters when I adjust them, but a person who does not have as much experience doing it may easily overtighten the rocker nuts to the point that the lifter plunger bottoms out and then when the extra 1/2 to 3/4 turn is given the valves will hit the pistons. If the intake manifold is still off when the new lifters are being adjusted that will make it much easier to adjust without problems as you are able to see when the plunger of the lifter starts to move along with the fact that you have slight drag on the push rod meaning zero lash.

16. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

I understand that. The lifters aren't that easy to squash. As long as you pay attention to what you are doing then you won't have a problem. Mechanically inclined is the key. But better be safe then sorry.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If the intake manifold is still off when the new lifters are being adjusted that will make it much easier to adjust without problems as you are able to see when the plunger of the lifter starts to move along with the fact that you have slight drag on the push rod meaning zero lash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more there. I try to do it with the intake off too...much safer that way for me. I have done it with the intake on, I just prefer it with the intake off so I can see the lifters.

As to whoever's knowledge of cam installation, if you think you know more than the instructions, go for it, do it your way. Just don't tell others to do it that way. I have always installed cams as per instructions and I have NEVER had an issue with a cam I've installed.

I didn't click the link above, but if anyone is referring to the used engine I had a couple months ago, when I get time to tear it down, I will tell everyone what was wrong with it. I feel that there was an issue with that engine long before I touched it.

The following week I installed a Summit cam in my buddy's K10 with no problems what so ever. Breakin went perfect, no issues with that and he's perfectly happy with the results, as am I.

I am no expert but I have installed a number of camshafts.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I think it is easer with a dry lifter rather than soaking them in oil...

[/ QUOTE ]

Grab your popcorn. Looks like one person already agrees with me.

19. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I just think it is easier to find zero lash with dry lifters... I have taught myself to feel for the drag as you turn the push rod while running the rocker nuts.Thats just me though...It worked great on my 454...I ran the pass side valves and they were dead nutz...I think I do have a drivers side exh. valve to tight though that I will fix before too long...

Chris

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree. I simply prefer to do it the way the instructions say.