Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tightening tilt screws procedure

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jul 4, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok anyone who has disassembled a tilt column to tighten up the tilt screws i need to know all the tools needed and what bits and what all to remove

my neighbor gave me a 79 auto tilt column

it just needs tilt tightened up,

ive never gone that far into one before
    one of those web pages with pics on doing this would be great

thanks

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

omg you have to remove lock cylinder gear and rack and the pivot pins and all ?

forget all that then

thats too much

cant find such a tool around here and i have no clue how you would get them out even with the tool

ill just take the lock cylinder and turn signal switch assembly and a couple other things from it and junk it i dont have time to sit on a column for hours on end and dont have the patience for it either, not at this point in my life especially it would just end up meeting a demise with the BFH

i have another auto tilt column laying out back and its partially disassembled, it has the same tilt problem and someone attempted to fix it but they failed

thanks

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't know how much shipping would be but i will fix them for you if you pay shipping both ways. It only takes me about 45 minutes each to repair if they are on the work bench and less if they are in a vehicle. I don't know if you're even willing to go through the trouble or maybe there is someone lse closer to you who could fix them for you.

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

That is an excellent write up. I just did this job today and wish I'd seen this first. I didn't have the pivit pin remover tool and was only able to get to 3 screws. Everything else I was able to do with common tools, although the lock plate remover/installer tool would have made life easier.

The GM part number of the pivit pin remover is J21854-01 (use this number to order the tool from Kentmoore / SPX) based on a 91 Burb shop manual. I didn't write down the number of the lock plate tool, but if anyone needs it, I'll look it up.

Took me about 2 hours, but about 1 of those was scratching my head and trying to make sence of the fuzzy diagrams in my shop manual.

Eric M.