Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tightening wheels bearings?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FL84K5, Jul 23, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I went to have my truck aligned today and they said they wheel bearing in my left front tire were loose. Either that or maybe it was wheel nut, I can't remember exactly what was said. How hard is it to tighten this? He said the hub has to be taken apart to get to it. How do you take the hub apart? Is it something that someone who is just learning to work on trucks can do? Are there any special tools needed? This is on an 84 with Mile Marker hubs

2. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

there is a special tool needed (atleast for warn hubs) that is a large socket with 4 prongs on the end. You need this to take off the the spindle nuts ( i think thats what there called)

But beforeyou get to those, you have to remove all of the outer hub assembly.

Good luck

3. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Yep, just the big Hub socket described above, plus you'll need a torque wrench to seat the bearings. It's a pretty simple puzzle, and most books (chilton, etc.) have the correct process for torque(ing). It's something like tighten to 80lbs, back off, then re-tighten to 25lbs. Look that up though.