Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tile guys? I need some advice...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 17, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've been locked in my bathroom for the last couple days getting ready to tile the shower/tub surround. Yes, I know it's over a year since I started this project...
    I bought my tile and trim pieces, finished the sub-wall, and got ready to get to business...

It turns out my main wall is pretty crooked... If I tile the wall level, there will be a big gap to the ceiling on the left side of the top grout line, and a big gap on the bottom right, along the tub.
    If I tile the wall crooked to match the crooked ceiling and tub, it will be blatently obvious in the corners where it meets the end wall.

What do the good tile guys do in these predicaments?

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Snap a chalkline about 2" up from the edge of the tub. Is the ceiling parallel to this line or off? The tub just made be installed unlevel. If it is the tub,snap a new line as close to the tub as possible while still being parallel to the ceiling. Start tiling up on that line, and cut some smaller pieces to fill in underneath the line. If they are both out of whack, then just tile up to above the shower head and stop there.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

how far out of whack are we talking?

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It looks like the tub is about 1/2" below level at it's lowest point. I installed it pitched that way cause it was supposed to be...
    The ceiling follows the same un-level line. If I tileds the whol thing up, and you rotated the wall a hair to the right, it would line up with the tub and ceiling perfectly...

Well anyway, I just finished tiling that wall. I'm going to put some trim along the bottom of the wall where it meets the tub to make it look nice, and I'll mortar and caulk it from behind to seal it.
    Along the ceiling, I'm going to put a crown molding piece. I'm really hoping it doesn't look cheesy in the end...