Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tilt colum

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudhog, Sep 17, 2001.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

2. MRBIGBLOCK

MRBIGBLOCK 1/2 ton status

no it dont fit 73-83 fits 84-91 wires up diffrent!

3. mudhog

4. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

yes it will cuz I did it. I put a 73 tilt into an 85, all ya have to do is flip the switch on the column over so it will lign up with the pins in the wiring harness. I did this and everything else works great,, I drive it everyday, so it must work,,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://hometown.aol.com/bcscrapper/myhomepage/index.html>hometown.aol.com/bcscrapper/myhomepage/index.html</a>

5. scrapmetal

but since your putting in a newer one into an older one, its still the same,, just flip the switch harness over and they will hook up,, Ive done it on a few of them,,,

<a target="_blank" href=http://hometown.aol.com/bcscrapper/myhomepage/index.html>hometown.aol.com/bcscrapper/myhomepage/index.html</a>

6. mudhog

7. scrapmetal

The switch Im referring to is the ignition switch located on top of the steering column. There is a plug in the wiring harness that hooks up to this. The ones on older vehicles is upside down compared to later ones. The 73 tilt I put in my 85 was pretty easy to hook up, just disconnect the old wiring harness plug from the top of the column, when you take the bolts out of the column and drop it down you'll see the switch on top, then put your new one in. Take the plug from the harness and turn it over and it will fit in the switch on top of the column, just look at it and you'll get what Im talking about when ya see it. After doing mine, course I had to go to a dash mount light and wiper switch but that was no biggy, as for yours, it may be different. When I hooked up the dash mount switch, the wires that had gone up the column for the newer style, they were the same color, and when I referenced a wiring schematic, they also showed the same colors, so when you hook up the new column, Im led to believe the wiper and light switch should work from there. Like I said the wires from the old column matched the new wiring harness, thats what I love about chevy there so versatile, if i can be of any more help feel free.