Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tilt column from a manual rig

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jackedjimmy350, Jan 20, 2004.

1. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

what might one of these in nice tight shape be worth? i tried searching the for sale ads, but it said the search was disabled.

thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't know if they are "worth" anymore than automatic columns, but if not, they typically go for $75 around here.

Of course, anythings worth only what people are willing to pay. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. jackedjimmy350

well, maybe a better question is "are they more rare?". i figured someone using a floor shifter for their auto might be interested in one... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They are definitely more rare. I had to make mine from a car column and truck column spliced together, since tilt floor shift cars were more common.

I've now got a spare non-tilt, since I'm the only one that drives it and my current tilt is always in the "non-tilt" position anyways, so no real need for it. When and if this one ever loosens up, I think it's coming out.

When a vehicle gets stolen, 99% of the time on a GM vehicle this vintage, that piece on the column 9that is floor shift specific) is what gets broken, and since manual transmission columns are less common than auto, there AREN'T a lot of them floating around.

But again, unless you find someone that is willing to pay for it, it's worth nothing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just have to hold onto it until you find the right person.

5. jackedjimmy350

well, got it in a parts truck i bought sunday...one of those unlisted pleasant surprises (also in the ad it said 6" lift. i figured blocks in the rear, but they are 6" springs all the way around)

anyways, got a buddy who wants it. just wondered how much i should gouge him /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I'de ask for 100.00 Thats what i usually get for a tilt/stick. 75 for a tilt/auto.

7. jackedjimmy350

cool, thanks man. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have had nothing but problems with tilt columns. I also have never needed to use one at anything other than straight ahead (i.e. not tilted).

I have had one come loose and just had to tighten up the bolts and one shatter the bearings. I never use the steering wheel to get into the truck (a big no-no with tilt) either. When the bearings shattered there was no place that I could get a whole bearing to fit it! I ended up having to 'machine' the column housing and the steering shaft to put a metric bearing in there. What a PITA! I would go through alot of work to put a non-tilt in either of my trucks. Putting a tilt in on purpose sounds like asking for trouble to me!

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i always pull tilt all the way down about all the way lowered, i have long arms and am not short, but i just like wheel down low

the only two tilt columns ive ever had trouble with is the 83 caprice that has loose screws in the tilt and the 92 s-10 shiter isnt lined up right with the handle and lock mechanism

hmm

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have had nothing but problems with tilt columns. I also have never needed to use one at anything other than straight ahead (i.e. not tilted).

I have had one come loose and just had to tighten up the bolts and one shatter the bearings. I never use the steering wheel to get into the truck (a big no-no with tilt) either. When the bearings shattered there was no place that I could get a whole bearing to fit it! I ended up having to 'machine' the column housing and the steering shaft to put a metric bearing in there. What a PITA! I would go through alot of work to put a non-tilt in either of my trucks. Putting a tilt in on purpose sounds like asking for trouble to me!

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. I'm so glad I swapped mine out as I never used it anyway. People really like that feature though, if they're heart-set on having it, why not, let em have it.