Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tilt column in 70 K5

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mcmlxix, May 7, 2003.

1. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

What tilt column will fit in a 70K5 thats a floor shift. I remeber someting about a 73 van? I searched but didnt find anything on what will work.

Anyone running and Ididit tilt column?

2. 6869704x4

6869704x4 Registered Member

I put a van tilt in my 70 truck. Im not sure of the year it came out of. Prior to whenever they put the key in the column. It had a flat plug instead of the curved one. My old 73 van had a curved plug but it was non tilt. Not sure what year they changed plugs.
    It had two notches in the column that mate up with the tit on the dash. If you use the lower one you should be OK since you dont need the neutral/backup light switch on the column. If you use the upper one, like I did because I wanted the wheel further away from my fat gut, youll have to clearance the dash bezel a little(I think). I didnt try to fit up the stock steering shaft and ragjoint. I used coleman racecar ujoints and rod to make a new one. Can send you a pic if you want.

3. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I would like to see pictures of that steering rod set-up if you dont mind. Some of the pre built shafts are spendy so I was wondering how I could build one myself to save some cash.