Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tilt column loose?Don't have the proper tools?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Aug 26, 2000.

Tilt column loose?Don\'t have the proper tools?

I know I have seen people making post earlier about loose tilt steering columns. Well Mine was loose for awhile and I blew it off cuz I didn't want to take it all apart and I knew I didn't have the right tools either. Of course I was leary about what was actually wrong with it too. I took a look at the blown apart view in my Haynes manual and went for it anyway !! I got it all apart and thought it may have been the ball for the tilt, but fiddled around for awhile and finally found the problem. It was two little star headed bolts that were extremely loose and of course I didn't have the tool to tighten them. OK I ended up making my own steering wheel puller and then a tool to compress that ring under the wheel so you can take off the snap ring too, and then I took a very deep-well 1/4" socket and wiggled it around and tilted the wheel back and forth til I got it on there and got them tight. There are alot of small parts that fall out while you are tearing it down so be carefull not to lose any parts and keep and eye on where they come from. This post was for those of you have loose columns and are not quite sure what is wrong with it, this could be a good possibility on a tilt column probs and to those who are too cheap to buy the proper tools that are easily made!!! btw my Burb is an 1988

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Tilt column loose?Don\'t have the proper tools?

Hey Burb, having or buying the right tools for the job is just taking the easy way out![​IMG]It takes some creative thought to find a way or make a tool for the job.
    Anyways if my steering column ever gets loose I'll just send it to you!LOL

Rene

[​IMG]

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Now that`s a great post! Things like this are what makes this forum such a sweet way for people to pass on there knowledge, and experience.
    Thanks Burb, I was going to swap to a good straight column that I have. Now I can see that my tilt unit has the same problem as yours.

Think I`ll use the last few hours of daylight to go set that thing straight!

3. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

This is kind of ironic, being on this site and all. I have a buddy whose grandpa used to work on the assembly line at Saginaw Steering Gear (now Delphi) who is now retired. He now works on columns for people and my buddy, who makes a really big deal about it says that you have to know exactly what you are doing and it takes a whole bunch of special tools. The kid is such a motor mouth. For some reason, he thinks his grandpa is the only one in the world that can perform this task. But, the guy charges $75 just to tighten up those bolts down there. Anyway, I got a little off the subject, but his grandpa said that the main reason for the tilt columns to work loose is when "old fat guys get big lifted trucks and have to pull themselves up into them by the steering wheel"... Not saying everyone is fat, but that's still alot of weight for the column to support. Just thought you might like to know one of the possible reasons for the loose bolts.

Later,

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project (Body Needed)
    http://www.4chevy.com

4. FAT?

I am not fat, but I'm working on it !! And that steering wheel makes a damn good handle for getting up in the Burb !! I guess I'll just have to use my own custom tools and fix it again and again !!

5. It wasn\'t an easy task ,BUT !!!

It wasn't easy, but if you are mechanically inclined and most of us are, here on the board then it should be good with doing it yourself. If you have any questions just e-mail and I will try to help you through it. There is a spring under the ignition switch that kept on falling out on me and the piece that dims the headlights was a pain too, oh yeah the spring that holds the long plunger can get pulled out of where it goes too. I had to disconnect the wiring right under the column for the horn and stuff. There is a little metal strip with a connector on it that just slides off and then two bolts for the metal piece. This allows you to pull the wires from both connectors up and out enough to pull out the pieces you will need to. There are a few pieces in there, just be patient with it, alot of plastic pieces that will break !

6. Bad Column + me fixing = Beer !!

If it goes bad then it will cost you !! I work for beer and Burb/Blazer parts only !! I enjoy tinkering on things and I have always used only a hand full of tools and love to fab things, even if it is a tool.

7. Nike

Nike Registered Member

Re: Bad Column + me fixing = Beer !!

Burb - There are actually 3 of those little star headed bolts down in there. I too have only gotten to two on two different vehicles. I found this post which tells you how to get to the third one, and I might use it next time??.
    http://4x44u.vmag.com/forum/pm-0598/messages.1399.html Good luck. Nike in Mo

Blue

8. Link didn\'t work

That would be great to know ! As loose as the other two were I could imagine the other one would be loose also! The link didn't work for some reason, could you try again please?

9. Nike

Nike Registered Member

Re: Link didn\'t work

Burb - I checked again and I didn't make a typo - you might check the sight later and your e-mail. Thanks Nike in Mo

Blue

10. Check your e-mail

Check your e-mail, I sent you my address !! Thanks again Nike!

11. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Be sure to LocTite the threads or it will happen again. I stopped yanking on the wheel too...Hah! BTW, AutoZone has the lockplate tool. Cheap.

SteveB

12. Re: Tilt column loose?Don\'t have the proper tools?

My tools were free !! I will loctite them next time !!

13. Homer86k5

Homer86k5 Registered Member