Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tilt Column question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russ, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert an automatic tilt steering column to manual, other than just taking the auto shift lever off? I recently put in a tilt column in my crewcab and have now decided to do a manual conversion. I have become quite fond of the tilt column though and do not want to lose it.

If it cannot be converted, was a manual tilt column ever made? Do any of the newer 88+ C/K style columns work in the 73-87 bodystyle? Thanks for any help.

Russ

2. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

It's easiest to just take the shift lever out. Some people have taken them apart, ground off the nub to hold the shift lever on and covered it up.

I dont think it looks bad if you just take the lever out, and you always have an option to go back to auto if you need to swap trannys!

3. bronc3buster842001

bronc3buster842001 1/2 ton status

or u could find a camaro that had a manual with tilt and swap the parts i put a complete camaro column in my old truck just got to make the shaft longer under the hood

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, column in my truck is from an auto truck, took the manual shift column bowl from a G-body and swapped the auto truck upper bowl.

5. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help everyone. That sounds easy enough to swap the parts out.

Russ