Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tilt/dump bed ?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DUKSRULE, Nov 4, 2002.

1. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 longbed truck that I use around the house. I am thinking about getting one of those dump bed kits for it. The one I looked at said the rear bumper gets welded to the bed hinges. To me this would mean no towing from the bumper. I have a reciever hitch on this truck and am wondering if the dump bed would work with it. Anyone have a dump bed on thier truck? If so how did you do it?
    TIA

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can still run a bumper hitch assuming you have enough bracing and the hinges and supports from the hinge to the bumper are strong enough (not recommended for heavy tow loads). You can run a regular "Reese" style hitch, but may have to "adjust" it's mounting location to clear the hinges for the dump bed and to make sure you have clearance from the bed and bumper when body is dumped. You can usually do it, but will have to remove the part of the hitch that goes into the receiver when dumping.

3. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

That is what I was thinking. Just wondering if anyone had done it.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 80 originally had a flatbed with dump, but no bumper, but it did have a reese hitch. I have seen some with fleetside bed, bumper, and hitch. The hitch was moved forward and they used a longer than average "hitch" to make up the difference. The only problem was they had to remove the hitch when dumping or they would taco the bumper on the hitch.