Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tilt front end

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevy4x4, Nov 17, 2000.

1. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

How difficult would it be to do this on a blazer? I read about doing this on a 50's jeep about 4 years ago in 4wheel and Off road, but how hard would it be to do on a blazer?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

2. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

3. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Go to http://www.usbodysource.com They have pictures of an install on a late 70s early 80s Chevy truck. They have detailed instructions and pictures.

Communication Breakdown
    74 Blazer
    Zeppelin

4. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: I have one of these...

I'm not really looking for new parts. I was wondering if I could use the existing parts. Like maybe, weld the hood shut, cut the fenders, etc....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

What is the advantages of doing this??

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just looks like a new way to smash my head on something sharp![​IMG] They say better acess to the engine but it sure doesn't look that way to me. Maybe if you had a lift off front end. Of course checking your oil with a lift off front end sounds like a PITA[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

8. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I think it would help. With a normal hood you only have good acces to the top of the engin and sort of the front. With a tilt front end you have the top, 2 sides. The only problem would be the front. Another problem is that you would have to relocate all the stuff thats on the inner fenderwell, and construckt a new latch for the tilt front end. A fiberglass lift of front end would be the best. Great access. Anybody have any other ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

9. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I am really looking into getting the one-piece cowl induction fiberglass front end from US Body Source. You might need a buddy to take off the front end off but, then again I don't go wheeling alone anyway. This way I can sit on the tires and go to work on the engine if need be.

Also, the entire front end is only 30 lbs with the lightweight model. Think of the mpg gains, light front end weight and it would feel like you put a brand new engine in!

Of course a little fabricating would be necessary for the front lights and grille but the pros outweigh the cons.

The front end for my 74 costs $1,000 so I am starting to save some cash as we speak.

(I need a new hood and a drivesr side quarter panel anyway.)

Communication Breakdown
    74 Blazer
    Zeppelin

10. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

My neighbor has a 77(I think) with a glass tilt front end on it. You do get great access to the motor, and it looks cool. One major drawback though, is that it doesn't have inner fender wells. I,m sure you could fab some up with little trouble though. His tilt is held in place with simple hood pins.

[​IMG]

11. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

On a 5 ton 81 International with a fiberglass tilt front end the inner fenderwell is just some foam. There are like two metal rods that go from the frame to the steel cab and there is some very think foam on there. It keeps the engine clean and reduces some noise too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]