Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Has anyone here done a tilt nose on an '81-'87 style front clip? I was planning on doing it with my '81 Crew Cab, but then I realized there would be some obstacles: Hood hinges and inside hood-release lever. I figured the lever could be re-located somewhere on the front clip, but I havent thought of an easy solution for the hood hinges. Anyone have any pics or ideas? Thanks.

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Been there looked into it.............If you plan on wheelin it don't, the whole front clip will break off due to way too much flexin! But do what you want it's your rig. If it's all show n no go then kool!
    Bill

3. mountainexplorer

I don't plan on doing anything serious with it. It might drive on a backroad or I may take it through a mud pit or two. I dont think I'll flex it very much. Next year, it will have 15 inches of lift and 44's, so a tilt nose front might make getting to things in the engine compartment a little easier.

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

The mud pits are where its gonna break..That much Lift & 44's H3ll your gonna need a helicopter just to get in! LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Bill

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Been there done that w/ a much lighter weight nose than GMs. Had it down to just a skin. NEVER wheeled w/ it on and had it come off while going down the road. It took a chunk of my frame rail w/ it beyond where I had the hinges welded. Ill NEVER do it again. Pin on 'glass, maybe. Tilt steel, NAH!

6. mountainexplorer

I wonder if it depends on how you do it. Most of the guys here that mud race have tilt nose fronts, and never have problems. I should probably go take a look at their's, but they are either '67-'72 or '73-'80 style front clips. One guy with a '72 Blazer runs 44" Boggers, the rest run 38's or about that size.

I suppose I dont really need a tilt nose, I just thought it'd be easier than climing a ladder and then feeling like descending down into a cave (engine compartment) whenever I needed to change plugs.

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

15 inches of lift i suppose your doing 12 suspension and 3 body? you should be able to change your spark plugs through the wheelwell

Later

8. mountainexplorer

Thats true. I just realized that after I posted. I have a 3" Body lift on a Blazer, and it's nice an easy to get to the plugs. I'll probably scratch the tilt nose idea, and when I change out the motor, I'll just pull the clip off and replace core support and inner fenderwells, since they're in need of replacement.

9. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

I'm currently building a '77 with a steel tilt front. This is easier due to the hinges bolting to the fenders. Currently deciding on how to hook the lower fenders to the sides without causing paint chips. Thinking about stainless dowel pins for location. Dont want any exposed latches etc. Anyone done this before?

Also if anyone is interested, I have 2 73-80 fiberglass tilt front ends for sale. I bought them with a truck & they are new... never installed. I believe they are made by USbody. 1 with lower fender extensions for $550, 1 without extensions for $500. They are $1099 on their site. Shipping may be expensive, but I'm located in Pittsburgh, Pa. if anyone is local or willing to travel. You can e-mail me at lpavtis@westol.com if interested.

Lonnie

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The year of clip doesnt make a difference. Do they street drive theres at all? It does make working on the motor GREAT tho. I do have to say that.

You can try it if you like I guess. But me and a buddy who had a GM truck w/ a tilt nose also beat our heads in trying to find solutions to it flopping around. On both of our rigs. He even went to hydralics to hold it down and it still flopped like a tuna on deck. He gave up on his after almost 5 yrs of trying, I gave up after only 2. LOL! Short of pinning it on, I dont see any fool proof way of doing it.

BTW my buddy and I are both body men, so its not like we were stumbling around. Well Im not anymore, I quit doing BW a few months ago.

I guess its a case of what your willing to deal w/ really.

11. mountainexplorer

One of them is a daily driver, two others are driven on road occasionally. The daily driver is a '77 Suburban; so far he says he loves having it, as far as accessibility goes. The only difference being an '81 is that part of the hood hinge bolts to the top of the firewall, unlike the '73-'80 style that bolts only to the fender. I can't see an easy way to make the hood tilt foreward along with the clip. Oh well, probably too much work for me anyway. Sounds like more hassle than it's worth. Thanks for the info.