Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tilt steering column question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Will the Ign. guts of a non-tilt column fit into a tilt column?????
    no cruise,or headlights in either column anyone know?
    TIA

Elvis does live I seen him at Hardees

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I believe so.

But I recommend against a tilt column. You WILL break it. I broke mine. I'm 5'4" tall and have a lifted truck. Now I know not to grab the steering wheel to get in.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

What all do you plan on switching?

<font color=red>Defeat is not being knocked down, it's not getting back up</font color=red> <font color=black>Stand Strong, Stand United</font color=black>
    <font color=orange> 1955 Willy's</font color=orange>

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

AFIK everything is the same, except the bearings.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Ignition is the same but they are mounted opposite of each other. (rightside up,verses upside down) Cylinder lock is the same. Directional signals, same. Wipers(if on the column) same. EVERYTHING ELSE is different!

Ron

'84 K5......Tree Fitty, SM465/Np205, D44/14BFF, Pro-jection! .....and of coarse no other color than Odie!

6. 5'-4"!!! damn, didn't know they stacked sh!t that high![​IMG] J/K couldn't resist.

Redfrog, make sure your wiring harnesses are going to match. and even if they do everything may still not work the same. i put a 75 colum in a 76 and for some reason the turn siginals did not work. the harnesses were the same and everthing. so i had to swap turn signal switches.

<font color=blue>"What does mine say?"
    "SWEET! What does mine say?"
    "DUDE!" </font color=blue>

7. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

What about the rod (locking rod?) that runs the lenght of the column? Is it the same or is it different for standard to tilt.
    it is the rod that moves back and forth when turning the key
    If that does not make any sense let me know and I will try to explain better

Elvis does live I seen him at Hardees

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Don't use the tilt column to pull up on - grab the drip rail or just jump.
    Here's a quick tilt question - is it possible to do anything about an automatic tilt column to make it into a manual tilt column?
    I pulled the automatic shift lever, but the thing can still move left and right (you know, park to 1st.) and the only effect is I can;t take the keys out of the ignition untill I put it all the way to the left. I'm about ready to break out some superglue.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> The mud's on it to hide that it's more than one color.[​IMG]

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mike, why not swap in a different column from a 4 speed truck? That's my plan.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Tried this swap! Couldn't get it to work! The lower cover that the auto shift handle attaches to is different. As for the lock rod....from the lock cylinder to the wheel is the same where the autos and manuals differ is in the lower rod...don't forget the auto has to be in "Park" to shut the ignition "off" and take the key out. The manual has that flippy lever.

Ron

'84 K5......Tree Fitty, SM465/Np205, D44/14BFF, Pro-jection! .....and of coarse no other color than Odie!

11. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Oh yeh, one other thing! I'm not even sure if they made a manual tilt for Chebby trucks.

Ron

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can take parts off a manual car OR a manual S-10 column, which are super common. You may need to do a tad bit of grinding of the plastic housing (internall) for the turn signal lever, but other than that, the "bowl"is the same. 73-91+ columns, GM rear wheel drive, are the same design. *the plastic bowl DID change, due to the "bulge" that came about from the later wiper on the column setup..cars trucks got it different years* The parts changed for some stuff (length for cars/trucks, wiring for wipers on column, cruise to name a few) but again, the same basic design.

I changed my C/K auto column to manual, and didn't even think of S-10 parts then. Cost me $40 for the plastic housing from a car,(ouch, columns are typically $50-100 whole) but now I don't have the problems you mention. You also end up tearing the column down to its smallest pieces to accomplish it. : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html&gt;http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html&lt;/a&gt;
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by dyeager535 on 10/04/01 08:39 AM.</FONT></P>