Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tilt steering column took a dump!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Frogg89, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Frogg89

Frogg89 Registered Member

My column is really loose. Is there a way to fix it, or am I better off just replacing it?? Ive had it apart and I dont wanna go in there again, its messy!!

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Those four screws right at the bottom need to have Loctite on them or they work loose. Sometimes the end of the tube breaks off instead - then its screwed /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[​IMG]

3. Frogg89

Frogg89 Registered Member

I had it apart today and I dont even remember seeing those screws. I couldnt get too far because I couldnt get the turn signal actuator off the wires. Any help with that? Please.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I have a step-by-step assembly of a GM column right here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

GM column

5. edman87

edman87 Registered Member

The end of my tube broke off while turning one day and locked the steering wheel-NOT FUN! I skidded into a ditch, luckily with no damage. So please fix your problem, or at least find out what the issue is, the alternative may not be pretty. Taking it apart and putting back together is pretty straightforward. The only hard part is getting the lock plate back on without the right ttool.

6. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Anyone know if they make removable steering wheels for stock columns, like in nascar? The ultimate anti-theft device!! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Grant makes a kit that makes the steering wheel quick disconnect. </font color>

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

This is a monthly question. Try hitting the search with key words like Tilt loose, loose steering.
    Big Burb has a very nice set of directions for this problem that you will find when you look.