Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tilt steering column ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by poinzey, Jan 16, 2005.

1. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

After yesterdays trip, the truck now seems to have a short in the steering column. If I pull up on the column, it shorts all power in the truck. Has anyone else experienced this? I need to get under the dash and look today, but could it be the ignition switch itself? Or would it be a problem with the linkage to the switch? I guess I need to fix this one soon, kinda anoying having the engine die everytime you turn. :D

2. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

ttt, and an update

After looking at the column, it appears that it is not a short causing the problem. From what I can see, the column is causing the rod to the ignition switch to move just enough to kill it. Is there a rebuild kit available for the column, or will I have to find another one from a junkyard???

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i don't know about a kit, but u can rebuild it, every so often i see an ad in the local paper, for a buissness that speciallizes in rebuilding columns.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is the steering wheel loose?

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Have you tried moving the switch a bit first , IIRC the switch mounting holes are slotted a bit so you move it some :thinking:

6. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I had a similar thing happend to mine, except every time I would take a right-hand turn the ignition would shut off. I would have coast throught the turn and then restart. The tilt part of my column was pretty sloppy though.

I wound up getting a used column from the junk yard. Cost $150.00 too!

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can rebuild them. I totally rebuilt my column for $80. Unfortunately, you can only buy the kit from the dealer. But, if you want to save yourself some money, call teh dealer and get the kit part #'s. Then got to www.gmpartsdirect.com and order from there. Will save you approx. %40-%50 off the dealer cost.

You will need to buy a steering wheel puller, spring plate compression tool, and a pivot pin puller (get them at Harbor Freight to save $$). DON'T try to do it without them. You will give yourself MANY headaches. Also, get the exploded column illustrations. PM Muddytazz, I think he may have them.

Also, when you get it apart, there are 3 bolts in the base of the tilt mechanism that will need to be tightend. I put some loctite on them so I wouldn't have to do it again.

Bottom line, I would not buy another one from the junk yard, I'd rebuild the one you have. Take your time and pay attention to where everything goes and you'll be fine. I find it helps to lay out everything in the order I take it off so that I can put it back on in the same order. That way you make sure to use all the parts and get them back where they need to go. A buddy drove my '74 the other day and commented on how tight the tilt column is. Too bad the rest of the rig isn't!:grin:

8. aduff85k5

aduff85k5 Registered Member

hey this sounds like a common problem. i've got it too. how did the rebuild go and pointers. i'm gonna pm that muddy guy.

9. mountain4x4

mountain4x4 Registered Member

rebuild kit part #s ?

Could someone post the column rebuild kit part numbers, or how to locate such a kit. I called 2 Chevy dealers, the local dealer and Salee Chevrolet, and no luck. They just want me to pick out parts to order from the exploded pics. Please let me know what column the rebuild kit is for when you post the part numbers. My truck is a '90 Burban w/tilt...

Thanks,
    Dave

10. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I a similar problem in my 78 Jimmy. The steering wheel was very loose and it would shut my truck down also. So a buddy and I tore into the column and there are 4 bolts that needed to be tightened down, right after the tilt part of the column. I also put some red locktite on them also, so they wouldnt back out again. After that it solved all of my problems.