Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tilt Steering column....?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Da-Rock, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Da-Rock

Da-Rock Registered Member

Does anyone know what kind of tilt steering column will fit a 1952 Chevy Pickup? I had a guy looking at GMC steering columns, but I don't know what year it was.

If I can't find a used one I guess I can buy Ididit's steering column. A bit pricey......:crazy:

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

everything fits... depends on how much ya wanna fab.... :D

3. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Haha I do infact know.

It a tilt steering colum out of a late 80's oldsmobile cutlass cierra. The ones out of trucks are too long but the one out of the oldsmobile fits real good. I'm sure there are other applications that are the same lenth too.Wish I was near my truck i'd take some pics for you.

Truck1.jpg

4. nemesis_pyros

Hmmm I guess he won't be able to see that pic.

5. Da-Rock

I have found other things listed for a 1969 - 1974 GM steering column. I have also seen the Oldsmobile listed as a possibility.

Length does matter......(looks around:eek1: ) The current steerin column is too long and sits on ma gut! I measured the length and to the floor it measured 32" ;) .

What length do you guys think will be right for a 6'3" 300lb person in a 52 pickup cab...........(without fabricating an extended cab :D )

6. nemesis_pyros

You'd like the Oldsmobile lenght one. Keep in mind that the column is going to be angled more up and down than in a car. This puts the Steering wheel tilted up quite a bit, even when you have the tilt all the way down. ( hope that made sence). We tried a column out of a late 60's early 70's and that didn't work so well, also tried one out of a 73-87 chevy truck and those are way too long. Another factor you need to consider is what seat are you using. We used the ones out of the same Oldsmobile, They fit great and are very comfortable. Although more leg room would be nice, those trucks are not made for big people.

Is this just a stock truck or did you change the front suspension? Just wondering what direction your going with the truck.

7. Da-Rock

It is stock and we are sticking to mostly stock stuff until I have the money to get a front end and then drop a 327 in or something.

Do you think that the Ididit steering column will be too long?

8. nemesis_pyros

Ah ok cool we did the camaro front clip and a 454. If I did it again I'd use one of those aftermarket ifs crossmembers or use a clip with the steering box infront of the wheels instead of behind. Although we got lucky and only needed to use one borgason double universal joint to connect the box to the column. (yes thats it. they were only a few inches apart)

I'm pretty sure you could go the ididit column route. iirc you can get them any custom lenght you need and they do look nice but are pretty spendy.
    I'll be able to take some pictures of my truck the weekend after next if you want and show you how I have my interior setup.

9. Da-Rock

That would be cool. Any info helps when working on this..........:D

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Any steering column will work but the early tilt columns had a 2" diameter body to them making them fit exactly perfect under the dash. The length isn't an issue because you just run it through the firewall untill you have it where you feel comfortable then make mounts for it and then an intermediate shaft with borgeson u-joints.