Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tilt steering column

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by alf4444, Jun 10, 2003.

1. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Besides the obvious differance (tilt)should there be a differance in a regular and a tilt column. I am trying to swap a tilt out of a 79 into my 78 and the end right below where the trans linkage goes is differant the tilt from the 79 had a bolt go through and on the 78 it has something like a slip yoke. ??? Am I missing something or was i supposed to take the rod off the steering box to do this swap. I hope not the parts blaze is long gone.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I put a 79 tilt column in my 78 and the only difference was that the plug on the new column was upside down from how the 78 was. It attached to the steering shaft without a problem. Pics would help... </font>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think I know what you are talking about.

My '80-ish column uses a bolt between the end of the steering column and the "intermediate shaft" to the steering box. The bolt is pretty close to the firewall in the engine bay.

My dads '74 column has a clamp around the steering column in the same place, so he can't just swap columns with me. The only real option worthwhile is probably replacing that intermediate shaft with a later one. Don't think anything changed on them (length, etc) except the attachment method to the column itself.

4. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

you hit it right on the nose. I guess i need a newer shaft to bad i didn't grab it off the donor blazer anyone got one they want to sell.