Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tilt Steering Mod

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wraparound, Sep 6, 2000.

1. Wraparound

Wraparound Registered Member

I've heard that a tilt wheel out of a 77 chevy van bolts perfectly into the 68 to 72 blazers. Is this true? If so were they available with a stick? I also can't get used to shutting off my blinkers after turns.

2. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    If this is true I definately want to know!!!!!! Is it normal to have to shut off the blinkers on first generations. I know mine wont shut off on left turns but on right turns it does, But then my steering wheel is way off center and the column is out of a Chevy unknown year, But it must be first gen also since no switch on the column!! Hope someone in the know will reply.

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>My blinkers wouldn't shut off when i got my truck so I replaced the canceling cam and that did the trick. that was a year and a half ago</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

4. bosifus

bosifus Registered Member

I had this problem in a 65 impala and the previious owner had installed a momo steering wheel, looked kewl but they did the install incorrectly. I took and afternoon and pulled it and adjusted the wheel to be centered and that did the trick for the blinkers. If that doesnt do it replace the cam doo hickey. Good luck!

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

There are some springs in the column that cancel the turn signals. These are usually what goes bad. Chevy Duty or the others sell a kit to fix this for a couple of bucks. You just have to pull the wheel, and it is easy to see what to do. The van columns do work, but there is some kind of modification required. The column from any GM van that does not have the key in the column will work.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

YES ITS TRUE!! As for the van haveing a stick never saw one just shave the shifter off! It will bolt right in though the shaft that goes between the box and the colume has to be shorter by about an inch! Do this by taping on one end till its right then it fits right up.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken