Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tilt Steering Repair Kit, Where can I find one???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77blazin, Oct 25, 2002.

1. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Where can I find a Tilt Steering repair kit for our K/5 blazer?
    Is there a link for this kit.
    Would like to know so I can get mine fixed.
    Michael /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

What do you mean by "kit"?
    Do a search under tilt steering and there is a kick a$$ write up on how to tighten it up. If yours is in your Blazer and just loose, This should take care of it great!!
    Good Luck. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

The dealer is the only place you will find all the parts you need. I searched for weeks trying to find better bearings that would work. It'll cost you about $80 to get the 2 different kits you'll need for all the repairs. Also, go and buy a "pivot-pin puller". They are about $20 from Snap-On, or about $10 from Harbor Freight (mail order only). Also, you'll need a steering wheel puller, and a spring compression tool (another $20 for both). Pay VERY close attention when you take everything apart and DON'T drop the bearings! I did that...what PITA to find them all again. I rebuilt mine a year ago and it is nice and tight with all the parts working correctly again. I put in new bearings, ignition, key lock cam, and lots of other small irritating little parts. lol. It took me about 4 hours from start to finish. It was well worth my time to do it.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

What's wrong with it?

A typical problem with the GM tilt columns is where the "head" assembly clamps onto the main tube. There are 4 fine-thread torx-head bolts that work loose over the years.

In nasty cases this causes the end of the tube to fatigue and break off /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif in which case you need a new column, or at least be a very good welder.

You need to get at these 4 bolts, and locktite them when you put it together.

I suggest taking the column out of the truck before you begin.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Could age be the reason that my steering column flops up and down freely? We are porbably about to tear into it to fix the ignition and I was considering doing the cruise control while I was at it. Maybe I'll fix the tilt too as long as its not too expensive as its not that big of a problem anyway.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

What I'm referring to is being able to grab the steering wheel and "stir" the whole column it in a circular manner.

If its the tilt catch that doesn't catch any more - that's another problem - needing parts; probably better to replace entirely.

Usually happens when guys get the idea to tilt the column out of the way each and every time he gets out of the truck. Bad stuff.

My buddy didn't believe me - he put on a teeny-tiny Grant steering wheel, yet still made sure to tilt the wheel out of the way *every* time. He's 5-foot-6, 130lbs, and with spacers under the seat, he still has to tilt the wheel right down into his lap. Its been three years since he got the truck, and now *any* slight upward pressure on the steering wheel causes it to snap up to the full-tilt position. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The cause of loose tilt columns is because people use the steering wheel to pull themselves into the vehicle, plain and simple.

GM cars used the same design column for about 30 years, and I've NEVER seen one come loose, yet almost every truck I've owned, driven in, or looked at, has some slop in the column, and about 99% of the time, its those bolts that are loose.

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

too much trouble to fix. I picked up a column on Ebay for 50 bucks and it was in excellent shape. installed yesterday. take a look there.

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

You can probably repair it by just taking it apart and tightening the four screws that hold the innards together. Use locktite so they don't come loose.

If it's really busted bad, go to your local Chevy dealer and get a repair kit. It will have both sets of bearings, lock ring and a few other tiny parts. They will get about $40 bucks for it but you can completely rebuild your column.

You can also save a few bucks by making your own puller for the pivot pins. Just find a machine screw that is at least 2-3" long that fits inside. Screw it in the pivot pin and find something to pull on it (vise grips, sllide hammer,etc.)