Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tilted body, why? 84

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben Malinski, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

I've posted this question before and got a few ideas but they didn't help, so I'm back again.
    I installed a 4" Rancho lift kit; shocks all around, new springs, blocks, add a leafs and steering arm. The drivers side tilts about 2 inches from front to rear. So, I changed the body/cab mounts and that was a job in itself! It still leans to one side! Any ideas? It is noticeable just by looking at it and I also measured to double check it.
    So, I removed the lift kit thinking the springs were bad and reinstalled the kit on the the opposite side it still leans toward the drivers side!
    Gotta be a reason for the tilting!?! Ideas anyone? Thanks!

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ben, if all the springs are good, I am gonna have to say your problem lies elsewhere than the suspension. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I hate to say it but here goes: I am betting you may have a bent frame. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif A bent frame, even so slightly, can throw off the levelness of the truck.

The only way to confirm a bent frame is to take the truck to a frame shop, or even a reputable body shop that does frame work and straightening and have them get the truck up in the air to where they can take some measurements at various points and locations on the frame. There are guides and points to measure from to find out if the frame is bent, diamonded, or twisted.

I know this sounds scary, but it's the only thing I can think of right now. Sorry to suggest this idea. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I have the same prob with the passengers side back end, its lower by about 3/4". Bugs the sh!t outta me too, I thought it might be the springs also but when I installed my lift it was still the same, it's not the body mounts either and you can tell where the previous owner either backed into something or was rearended,Thanks Wes! Even though thats not what I wanted to hear.... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

4. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

It may well be bent! Never did run into anything thogh that would bend it that much! Maybe running into the mother-in-law did it you think?!?!?
    I'll have the frame checked out.
    Also Wes,
    why are the rear u bolts tilting? I tried to torque them down straight but the end up tilting. The axle cover is pointed around 5 o'clock instead of vertical. I loosen the u bolt nuts and rotated the axle, still when I tighten the bolts, they end up stalted! How do I correct this? Thanks!

5. thatK30guy

Check your e-mail, which I replied back to you. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

on the '83 truck I used to have the cab channel that the mounts sit on (between the rubber mount and cab floor) was rusted out and allowed the cab to drop, it was hard to see because it was above the gas tank. check the body mounts.

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

were there shims with the old cab mounts? Those have to go back in their spots even with the new mount kit.

8. thatK30guy

A few shims, like one, two or even three, are not enough to throw the body alignment off by 2 inches. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

* light bulb apears over fumes' head* /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

I'll get some pictures taken and send them to you Wes.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, but a strategically placed zero rate or two might make the problem lesser for cheap : )

(that was my option before my truck magically "settled" evenly all by itself)