Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tilting of your ff14b...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by jekbrown, Sep 7, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Stephen, I am getting a new ff14b before long, and since I'll have to reweld perches and shock mounts on the thing anyway, I figured it would be wise to tilt the axel so as to minimize the angle between it and the rear driveshaft. Question: how much is yours tilted (it appears to be so in fourwheeler, maybe not) and how do you figure what the optimum angle is for your rig? I plan on getting some beefy CV driveshafts once the 14 and 205 go on, just wanted to here your expert opinion on the matter, thanks much in advance!

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

With no CV joints, the angles on both u-joints need to be the same to avoid vibration. My brother and I both had to shim our pinions down after doing shackle flips. When running a CV at the top of the shaft, I think you aroud 0-1* on the u-joint at the bottom.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I was prolly gonna get a shaft from the high angle drive line guys. CV et all. In that case, would angling the 14 bolt be beneficial at all or a waste of time? Like I said, have to reweld/locate perches and shock mounts anyway...I just wanna have to do it once...preferably the best way possible. =p

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Best thing to do with the perches is go ahead and take them off, but don't weld them back on till you have the drivetrain finalized and in the truck. With a CV, you want the pinion pointed just a little below the driveshaft and that's hard to do till you know where the driveshaft is going to be! The angle change depends a lot on your spring type and suspension setup, I had to roll mine 14 degrees one time when I went to a custom spring. Just the way it worked out was way different than my stock setup. Just an FYI, a lot of 4-6" lifts on K5's end up just right with a shackle flip and CV joint, so you may just want to leave the perches on it and see how they work out, they may be close enough.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>