Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

time cover seal / rear main cap / freeze plugs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Mar 31, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok guys... a series of questions for you

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.vtengineering.com/ck5/time-cover-seal.jpg>check out this picture</a>. assuming the balancer goes in this hole - wanted to verify this. (i.e. that is what the seal goes around)

what are the torque specs on a one piece rear main cap? my book said 20, but I broke off a bolt (last one to tighten) so I torqued 3 to 18 (pounds), and then stopped then the next one felt like it was going to break.

freeze plugs - I've got all these small little freeze plugs, and I'm not sure where to put them. I've got the plug at the end of the cam, all the ones just a touch smaller all the way around (2 on each side - 2 front - 2 rear), 3 small ones behind the cam sproket, 3 above the where the cam plug is. I know there are a few other screw in plugs, but I can't figure out where all these small plugs go?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

One of those small plugs goes right above the rear main cap in an oil gallery that goes straight up and down I do believe. You better make sure that one gets in there or you won't have any oil pressure (sometimes it doesn't get removed when they boil your block).

Yes that is what the balancer goes into.

How many plugs do you have left? I'm trying to think of exactly where all of them go, but some slip my mind at the moment. There may a plug included for the hole for an oil sending unit above the oil filter and behind the intake. Both of these are used on TBI engines. The one by the oil filter is plugged off on my '84 and I use the top one for a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

3. solowookie

I've got 2 screw in plugs, but those are not the ones that concern me.

the ones that concern me are the tiny pound in type. there are only 3 of those used on the block currently, and the machine shop put the 3 above the cam in for me so I can account for 3 of the 5 left (they did that for free - as well as install the cam bearings - they didn't use the ones from my masterkit cuz the bag was sealed).

4. solowookie

would you be talking about where the oil pressure sender goes on a TBI?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes. There's an oil pressure sender for the electric guage and one for the computer.

There's also that plug in the top half of the rear main and one at the ends of the oil galleries. The oil pressure sender for the top of the motor is, I believe, the opposite side of the hole in the rear main area where I'm telling you the one screw in plug goes.

I can't really think of where more pound in plugs would go. You've got the ones in the front of the block and that back...I'm pretty sure that's about it. Anybody? What am I missing here? I know I'm forgetting something.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

This one small plug in the back of the engine, does it go in the rear main cap, or in the block? I can't remember at this point but I'm trying to help Jeff and I'm thinking now that it goes in the cap. It's a really tiny plug.

7. solowookie

OK Tim and I worked on this through an MSN chat session (more Tim then me) so I got the brain storm to go check.

well let me explain <a target="_blank" href=http://www.vtengineering.com/ck5/maincap-plug.jpg>this picture</a> so you will understand what you are seeing. OK you are looking under the rear main crank cap with the crank still install. You will see two holes, and one is white. this is really a great shot cuz my engine stand is white, and it helps make this picture clearer. anyway that hole that is white is where the oil pump shaft goes through to connect up with the distributor. the hole on the other side of the cap is where the plug goes, and the two other holes are the bolt holes for the cap.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Let me start by saying I am an automotive machinist who rebuilds many engines. On a small block chevy you will find (2) 1 5/8" freeze plugs in the front, back and each side of the engine. If your enigne is a 400 then sometimes there are (3) freeze plugs on each side. You will also find (3) usually 1/2" freeze plugs behind the cam gear, You will also find the little freeze plug down the hole in the rear main saddle of the block like everyone else has said. The expansion plug kits usually give (2) different size freeze plugs for behind the cam gear as there are (2) different size holes used in chevy blocks, usually they are 1/2" but there is also a metirc size as well. Now you will find (5) 1/4" threaded pipe plugs. (3) go in the back of the block in the oil galleys and (2) in the side of the block for the water drain holes.

9. solowookie

Scott,

thanks for the info and the FYI - it looks like I've got all the holes. I will go ahead &amp; finish my assembly now (oil pan &amp; timing cover will go on tomorrow while I wait for thicker head gaskets)

10. 4X4HIGH

Why do you want thicker head gaskets? How thick are we talking?

11. solowookie

I have flat top pistons, and I want to decrease the compression ratio a bit... I think I'm going to try to measure the quench before I order though.

12. 4X4HIGH

You will never reduce the compression ratio enough to even matter using a thicker head gasket. The only way to lower compression ratio is by changing pistons or cylinder heads to a larger cc combustion chamber. But since you already have the largest for a small block you need to change pistons. By the way, flat top pistons in a small block with 76 cc heads is around 9:1.

13. solowookie

ok how many cc's is a stock TBI head?

14. 4X4HIGH

If you can give me the complete casting number from the head I should be able to tell you.

15. solowookie

16. 4X4HIGH

That head should be from an 89 chevy with 76cc chambers

17. solowookie

hey Scott thanks a ton - lets just say I'll be resting a lot easier now! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif the machine shop told me I should be able to run normal pump gas just fine, but never indulged me as to why.

18. 4X4HIGH

No problem Jeff, if you have any other questions that I can help you with just send me an e-mail and I will try to help you out.

19. 4X4HIGH

Hey Jeff, if you want to thank me a ton just send over the D60. LOL

20. solowookie

D60? LOL I got a D44 up front there, and wishing I had a D60... I take it you found my webpage?