Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time for a 454

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Feb 3, 2004.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Last night my 350 started making some funny little knocking noises, I guess the last 4 years of abuse finally killed it. So I speak to a friend of mine who has a 454 with headers that he is not going to use that he will help me install for $250 including the engine, sounds like a deal and he swears that it's in good condition. I need to buy a waterpump, as far as I know I can use the the distributor from the 350, can I also use my q-jet from the 350? Any other funny stuff I need to be aware of. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

ahhhh

motor mounts...yes
    distributor...yes

be aware that you can use the carb but you may suffer in higher rpm, off the line or low rpm should be just fine. You also may have issues with your exaust, is your pipes the smae diameter as the headers on the 454?

no brackets will swap, but you should be able to use your ps pump, alternator ect..

flywheel is different too, other than that is should be all bolt in, just watch for clearence on the dist, and fire wall and between the valve cover and brake booster. It should be OK though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BB's are fun /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

454 for $250.00 ??? Deal of a lifetime.
    If it was me, I would rebuild said 454 just because. Then you'd be starting with a freash motor, and would know for sure everything is ready to go. Could also put in better cam, intake, timing chain, oil pump, ...ect. while you're at it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup I got my running 454 fer 175.00 and I am dumpping 4K into it to make it an engine that will last at least my lifetime /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I would like put some nice upgrades on it but I don't have the $ for it now. For now I just want something reliable with a little extra power, a stock 454 with headers should give me that. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif