Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time for a Doubler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BizeeB65, Apr 12, 2006.

1. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

So my 203 is crap, and I want to swap a 205 in, but I am now considering a doubler setup. I have read through ORD's site on the buildup, and the only thing I dont really think I will enjoy is the crossmember modification. All the rest seems very straight forward. However my other problem is cost. I would still need to find a 205, buy the kit and shifters, and modify the driveshafts.

Whatchu guys tink?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I love mine. However, I planned a year in advance which doubler adapter I'd use (and therefore which spline counts and shafts to use, etc). Changing your mind mid-stream can be very expensive.

If you're worried about cost, check out the other vendors, as you may save some $$ and/or be able to use a different flavour of NP205.

The crossmember was easy for me, just had to drill new holes in the frame. My shafts cleared without issue. Also, the Gen2 ORD Doubler might let you use the same rear shaft as you have now.

-- A

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Went i went to the Doubler from the Stock 203 my rear driveshaft went right back in and i was driving it that night. The Doubler comes out the same length as the 203.

4. orangeGMC

orangeGMC 1/2 ton status

How far off was the front driveshaft?

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You may be the perfect candidate for a STAK4x4 box....

Since you are scrapping what's there now, the STAK can simply bolt in place of your existing transfercase. It offers TWO low ranges (3.05:1 and 5.44:1) and since it's basically the same size as an NP203, you may not have to even modify your driveshafts or crossmember... :thinking:

Cost is around $2800 (there's always a catch isn't there? :D ) but if you compare it to the cost of a Doubler, plus the cases, plus driveshaft mods, etc...you may not be that far off pricewise, and you are WAY ahead from an overall driveline length and weight perspective.

It's worth checking out....

www.stak4x4.com

:usaflag:

6. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Wow... $2800... I am starting to think that just rebuilding the 203 and installing the part-time shaft kit will be the route to go. No new driveshafts, 2WD, no mounting mods...

I am just at that point where I am tired of fixing things I didnt break. The PO was a complete retard, and just beat the tar out of this truck. I am hoping this t-case fix/swap/whatever allows me to actually wheel for a while without problems...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006