Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time for a driveway DEGREASE!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5thatShmobs, Mar 25, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

I have some DEEP grease stains (ATF, gear oil, brake fluid, axle grease, everything) all over my driveway from the last 6 months of intense work on the truck. Ive tried a few conventional degreasers, but none have done much at all. Can anyone recommend a VERY STRONG degreaser?

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

hydrochloric acid

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have a hand held sandblaster that I use when I spill... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Castrol Superclean worked on my old driveway. I poured it on full-strength and then scrubbed it with a stiff broom. Then rinsed and it looked fine!

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

The bad thing with the acid is it eats the concrete, and leave big pours. So the next time you get oil there it seeps deeper into the concrete and it is imposibble to get it to look clean again. I haven't found any thing that really works, If the oil has been on the concrete for day or two brake cleaner or laquor thinner work to some degree.

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I always keep a gallon of Castrol Superclean in the purple jug for the same reason.
    You know, they also sell small powerwashers that would probably work great too.
    -- Mike

7. BowtieRed

[ QUOTE ]
    The bad thing with the acid is it eats the concrete, and leave big pours. So the next time you get oil there it seeps deeper into the concrete and it is imposibble to get it to look clean again. I haven't found any thing that really works, If the oil has been on the concrete for day or two brake cleaner or laquor thinner work to some degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was KIDDING /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Something that sort of works for oil stains is to get a bag of concrete and spread it on the stains. Brush it and scrub it in with a broom and let sit for a while. It sometimes can dramatically reduce the contrast, though you'll still see the stains.

On a related note:
    A while back, after triming the bottoms of both my D60 and C14 (and some other cutting and grinding) I did not clean up the mess right away. It rained the next day and it was a week or so before I got back to working on it (and clean up). Oops! Now I have enormous bright orange iron oxide (rust) stains over the entire area. How the ???? do I get rid of that?

9. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Try a Steam Cleaner.....??

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Soak the grease stained area with simple green for an hour.
    Then pressure wash it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    You'll be pressure washing the whole driveway though so it will all look the same then. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

We use this powder stuff at work to clean the concrete shop floors. You put the powder down and spray the floor with water, then scrub it. Ill see what its called today when I go in and let you know. I think Malco makes it.

UPDATE* Upon some research while sittin here in physics class I found the website with stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Concrete/Floor Cleaner/Degreaser
    Heavy Duty Cleaner

Im not sure which one we use exactly though.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have always used Tide, Gas or solvent,and water. Pour gas/solvent on the bad oil stains and work it in with a stiff push broom
    let it set for a while then wet it all down and pour Tide detergent all over the drive way and scrub it down good with the stiff push broom. Wash it off
    Works great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I vote for the castrol superclean, it's some mean stuff.

-Jeremy

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Now I have enormous bright orange iron oxide (rust) stains over the entire area. How the ???? do I get rid of that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a bottle of CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust). It removes rust stains before your eyes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It's with the bathroom and sink cleaners at the department or grocery store. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Try a can of Coca-Cola, it realy does lift grease stains, just pour some on there and let it sit for a while then just whipe it up and it should be perty clean.

16. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I bought some stuff called Greased Lightning to clean the gunk off of my 14 bolt. It worked like a champ. I left the bottle in the driveway and ran it over /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.... it gave up the ghost and everywhere it spilled was nice and clean.

17. BowtieRed

greased lightning. . . isn't that what you pour in your gas to clean your engine?

18. BowtieRed

gas doesn't work on oil though- it'll run right off, oil is made to resist gasoline.

19. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Ive tried the Castrol Superclean stuff... didnt do much actually. Dims the spots a little and gets rid of the grease, but you can definitely still see a pretty dark spot.

20. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get some Purple Stuff. It works wonders around here. I'm not joking either, that's really the name of it.