Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time for a new career, any thoughts, anyone hiring?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by yunit, Nov 9, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

10 Reason's for the career change.
    1. My boss fawked me on a $16k raise. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    2. He plan's to switch me to salary, so no more OT! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    3. I hate being corporate. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    4. I feel like I am wasting my talent's as a network administrator. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    5. My boss is a dick and everyone at the company is too! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    6. My boss is a dick and everyone at the company is too! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    7. My boss is a dick and everyone at the company is too! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    8. My boss is a dick and everyone at the company is too! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    9. My boss is a dick and everyone at the company is too! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    10. My boss is a dick and everyone at the company is too! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

So anyone hiring or having any thoughts on what I should do next??? I am open to serious suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

not that i have anything; but are you open to relocation

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Looks like I better change my major before it's too late /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

About 10 years ago I dedided to make a carreer change. I went to school, got edgumicated, gradiated and started working in a high tech field. My starting pay was less than what I was making pounding nails but there was supposed to be a light at the end of the tunnel. During the next 5 years, so many people got into the same field that the market was flooded with new techs and my salary pretty much froze up. I went no where.... Finally I decided to go back to pounding nails and now make 3 times what I was making as a tech.

The grass is always greener on the other side. But if too many people walk on that grass, it soon becomes brown...

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Just depends on waht kind of work you want to do I guess. Desk job is nice: "read..not having to work outside in below freezing or 100+ degree days.
    I still have 5 years to decide before I retire from the military /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I hear these guys are hiring.............
    [​IMG]

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

They figure there is going to be a critical shortage of skilled trades in the near future. More of the older guys will be retiring obviously and not enough kids are getting into the trades.

They all want tech jobs...

The result is an increasing imbalance in supply versus demand which is already putting an upward pressure on wages for skilled trades.

As it is right now we have a terrible time trying to find good machinists, sometimes we can't even find a mediocre machinist. The guys we do have make pretty damn good money too.

Fabrication is about a year or two behind machining as far as shortages in the available talent out there. Millrighting is another trade that's in the same boat.

I may get dirty at work, but we have coveralls and I don't work in the weather. I personally like seeing a tangible result of my labor.

Rene

8. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

to emphisise what trustk5 said, when i was going through the auto tech program in the skills center out here in Spokane they always said that. I didnt realy belive em that much, but recently i met up whith one of my friends from school and hes now working for GM in the service department making $20K a year, and hes 19. Trades are in high demand...

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've made $44K since the middle of march...prolly finish the year at $50-$53K depending on overtime, and that'll be under 10 months. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Jeff, I want to eventually relocate out west somewhere, like Colorado or Utah. I love the outdoors & mountains and from what I have seen those are two of the nicest states.

I am actually calling about an entry level job at a machine shop tomorrow morning, we'll see how it goes. I would really like to start fabricating stuff, but everyone seems to be doing it lately. The only difference is that I could probably get most of the east coster's business just because of my location and I am just such a swell guy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guess I will keep everyone posted.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok, i liek this thread alot, more than you may know,

i have a few Q's:

where are there any trades courses in this country ? cuz there sure arent any around herein central IL, and also no real machine shops of fabrication shops, we dotn evne have a tranny shop or anything around here
    i drool everytime i see fabrication type show on TV, and theres a few on right now, like monster garage and orange county choppers and such,

what about HVAC ? is that field gonna grow you think ?

hum..

12. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

You guys ever think about driving a truck across country? Truckdriver. I've got answers if you wondering about it. I'm 27 and pull down easy 6 digits a year.

13. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

But its not for everyone.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've considered the machinist trade and in hindsight I wish I went to the votech school during high school for either welding or machining. At this point I will most likely end up a mechanic, hopefully not just another grease monkey for the rest of my life. My buddy is a tool and die machinist and was laid off a couple months back. Never got the story of it.

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You guys ever think about driving a truck across country? Truckdriver. I've got answers if you wondering about it. I'm 27 and pull down easy 6 digits a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you an independant or do you work for someone?

16. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Independent. Leased on with a large carrier company.

A first year company driver can expect to make $32-$45G's the 1st year depending on company and personal capabilities.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

whatever you do, dont go into architecture... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

18. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    whatever you do, dont go into architecture... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah my degree pays about $8/hr around here for architecture design. One reason I drive.