Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time for a new engine..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bckinblk, Mar 20, 2004.

1. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Well it finally happened today.My old 150k 350 died today .I am looking for a direct replacement engine with slightly more horsepower.I looked into neeco and other places ..What do yous guys recommend I get for a good engine with a good warranty?? Thanks for any info in advance,... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

did he say "a little more power"?

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

gm crate motors

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

150k ?? didn't really get your money's worth out of that thing... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

can we say,,,,"REGULAR MAINTENENCE?"

juss messin, sorry to hear it died, but i still think you should have gotten more out of it than 150k. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

mines gettin ready to hit 211k and still runnin.

5. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder 1/2 ton status

summitracing.com

NAL-12497317

Chevrolet: 383, 340 HP/435 ft.-lbs. of torque, High Torque crate engine

This stroker small block delivers awesome torque for your street rod or truck. The 383 cubic inch engine delivers 435 ft.-lbs. of torque at 4,000 rpm, and 340 HP at 4,500 rpm. The bottom-end features a four-bolt main block, a durable 4340 forged steel crank, high strength forged powdered metal connecting rods, and hypereutectic pistons. On the top-end you'll get a GM Performance Parts hydraulic roller camshaft (.431 in. intake/.451 in. exhaust lift with 196 degrees intake/206 degrees exhaust duration at .050 in.), cast iron 64cc Vortec cylinder heads with 1.940 in. intake/1.50 in. exhaust valves, an 8 in. balancer, a cast iron long water pump, an aluminum dual plane Vortec intake manifold, and an automatic transmission flexplate.

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    did he say "a little more power"?

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT might let me get some air under the front tires /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    150k ?? didn't really get your money's worth out of that thing... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

juss messin, sorry to hear it died, but i still think you should have gotten more out of it than 150k. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I hate you people lmao. My truck is on its 3rd engine at 145k lol.

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Mine has 311,000 /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

o just shut up /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i think all we are really trying to say, is we think the motors should be lasting alittle longer than 150 some odd thou miles. i dunno, was it previously rebuilt? or is it the original?

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you want a engine with a little more power be careful what kind of engine you buy. Most performance crate engines wont work with TBI. They have too much cam for the computer.
    Requiring you to get a new chip burned.There are companys out there that have custom chips for the GM 350 HO Crate.

If you dont mind spending a bit of $.This would be a nice engine for you:http://www.paceparts.com/product.asp?0=239&1=241&3=180223

For less money the New GM crate engines will probabally give you a little more power than your stock 88 block.
    Most 88s had 8.2 to 1 compression ratio. The new Crates have 9.4 to one and will work with your computer.

GM Crate http://www.paceparts.com/product.asp?0=343&1=360&3=205364

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My DD had head work done at 75K miles and the GM dealer didn't get the heads sealed back down and the motor threw a rod shortly after. DAD was PO'ed (it was his blazer at the time, they bought it new), he took it back in and they agreed it was there fault and tossed in a Vet part number short block and put the truck TBI stuff back on it. It now has has 102K miles on that replacement motor and its still running strong, I had to replace the timing chain at about 99K miles. Its getting a full tuneup, new injectors (the old ones have 188K miles on them) the whole works this summer. Hopefully pull a few more years out of it! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I have another 350TBI in the garage out of a 93 that has 140K miles on it, it that had an intake leak, when it got fixed something fell into one of the oil galleries or something and the crank got starved for oil and scortched the crank. It looks like a roll of quarters. All I'm planning on doing is a new crank and bearings, cylinder walls look geat, maybe have those and the cam jurnals honed, new cam and oil pickup... It I have the $$$ go full roller and it should be ready to roll again! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

14. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I hear ya ..I do regular maitenace but I really work my k5..It tows alot so maybe that has something to do with it ..I just need an easy bolt in with more power for towing..I had a previous 5.7 that lasted 345.000 miles but it was never abused at all .I knew that this one would'nt last ..Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. J.R.

J.R. Guest

if you have the money, look into the ram jet 350. it has good power and looks killer !!

16. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

There is a guy on Ebay and he sells 383 TBI engines.

link

link 2

link 3

He has a 12 month 12000 mile warenty on it too.

Nick

17. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I have decided to try the goodwrench crate motor..I am still looking for the best price shipped to my door..Thanks for all the replys.. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

18. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I have decided to try the goodwrench crate motor..I am still looking for the best price shipped to my door..Thanks for all the replys.. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

19. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

20. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status