Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time for a new motor--- suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rebelk5frk, Feb 13, 2003.

1. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

My poor tired motor is about done and I finally have the cash to do something about it. My plan is to get another motor so I can swap them out in one or two days instead of pulling my old motor and trying to find a way to get it to the machine shop etc. After looking through the local paper my choices are.

buy a "high performance 454" assuming it isn't due for a rebuild itself.

buy a SB400 and have it rebuilt

buy my buddies 78 blazer and pull the motor, rebuild it, then try to sell off the parts.

buy a long block from a rebuild shop and swap my parts over.

buy a gm crate motor.

Prices for the finished product are all about the same.

What would YOU do?

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd go for the GM Crate Motor. If you get a stock replacement approx 250~275HP you'll get a 36month/50K mile warranty. They'll replace it if it goes bad, even if you put it in. If you're looking for HP go with a HP Crate from GM. Still a 12month/12K warranty.

If you have down time and like rebuilding, you can go that route too. But my trucks cant be down for too long, so GM is my vote in this case.

John

3. rebelk5frk

I have plenty of down time at the moment but hate rebuilding engines myself. The little bit of extra money it costs to have my local shop tear it down and machine everything and put it back together is worth the lack of aggravation. The shop I use also warranties their rebuilds for 12mo/12k miles and has a turnaround time of about 24 hours.

4. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

GM makes a 350 HO that's somewhere around 330hp/380ft/lb, and a HT383 thats around 330/425. Those would be my suggestions. Check out paceparts.com

5. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

I'd get a long block from a shop, if it's a good shop they should balance there motors and stand behind them, GM crates are fine too, they usually give you crap about having them installed by an ase cert. mechanic in order to honor the warrenty though, just my opinion, good luck with your swap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

Bigger is better, or so I belive. Sure if you havent allready you will have to beaf up the drive train to handle it but you will never regret haveing MORE POWER. I am in the one ton, dual lockers, and big block crowed and for me atleast it's the only way to go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. rebelk5frk

Bowtie, the 350 HO is just barely outside of my budget, otherwise I'd like to have one. I did check out the link and some of the prices for thier crates are right around the prices I'm looking at. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MJB, </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    they usually give you crap about having them installed by an ase cert. mechanic in order to honor the warrenty though

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's not a problem.... My friend can hook me up if need be.

Great scott, The rest of the drivetrain is next on the list. My SM465 trans should be up to the task but the axles etc will be suspect if I go big.

Ahh decisions decisions.... I'm gonna have to make some calls in the morning I think. With anyluck the 454 is still pretty fresh. If not I think I'll go with a crate unless I can get the rebuild shop to build me a decent 383 for less than 2 grand.

8. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

You should be able to build a decent small block for less than the cost of a crate motor. GM does make the goodwrench 350 for about $1300. You could install one now with a little bigger cam, and throw on better heads later when you have more money. If you do go head shopping, Pro-topline makes improved vortec-chamber style heads with standard intake bolt patterns for around $500.

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Since you can't really have any down-time, stick with a smallblock.

I'm a fan of the 400. By a rebuilt one with a guarantee. You might have to go through a few cores before you find one that's buildable.

10. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

buy a gm crate motor.
    IT'S A BRAND NEW MOTOR....WITH WRNTY...

ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY SAWZALL /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ZZ502 crate motor 1 wire fuel injection that's what I want /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I have to say with GAS reaching $2.00 a gallon moving into a diesel is looking better and better. Not only do you get the torque but the mileage improvement is a pretty big bonus. Specially if you drive your rig to the trail (or every day for that matter). Some trails are days away... it could pay for itsself in saved gas $$ on the way to MOAB.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really like the 383 HT GM crate motor

14. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I'd investigate all your crate motor possibilities. Find a Car Craft or Hot Rod magazine and look through it and search around online.There are lots of pre assembled motors available that make more power than the GM crate motors for around the same price. These come with comparable warranties. Speed-O-Motive has a 450HP small block long block listed for $267. This is just one example of what's available.

I would build my own engine because it can be rewarding and it saves a little money, remember
    "BUILT NOT BOUGHT"