Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time for a new temp sender?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Here's the story, '82 Silverado with a crate 350 and a Quadrajet. My temperature gauge says at idle and low speeds that I'm running at about the 210 mark. If I pull it out on the highway It'll jump up to 245. As soon as I get down to slow speeds we're around 210 again. The thermostat seems to be fine. It warms up in reasonable time, the heater works great, and after running a while under the hood feels pretty cool (actually its probably the coolest feeling F/S GM we've owned). The sender that is currently on there has the button type end which came on the 73-78 motors. The one I bought at the parts store has the prong end which according to LMC looks to be approiate for the vintage. Maybe the older sender is the culprit. Whoever did the engine swap used an older engine to complete the crate motor, my intake manifold is the older style. The wire going to the sender has a splice in it but the connectoin is tight and complete. When I was changing the bulbs I also changed the gauge in the instrument panel it does the exact same thing. I want to make sure I'm on the right path before I put it in. I don't wanna be out my $20. Nature also decided to throw more snow over here so I can't even work on it. Thanks for the help [​IMG]

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can probably test the sender/gauge by grounding that wire directly to the block, with the key in the "run" position. That should peg the gauge out. If not, I'd suspect gauge, not sending unit. Its gotta be pretty rare for those sending units to quit working right :)

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The amount of change in resistance per degree has varied for the temp sending units over the years. Get a sender that matches the year of the truck and that should solve your problems (assuming that the gauge you swapped in is for the same year as the truck). They just don't mix and match well.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, more problems thrown into the equation. I grounded out the wire leading to the sender and it pegged the gauge so now I know they sender is the culprit. I go down to the parts store and the "polite" employee down there came back with an oil pressure sender. I had to practically take his hand and point to the part I wanted. I finally get my supplies and pop the hood open for the change. I look at the sensor on the motor (crate motor previous owner put in 25k ago) and it has way bigger threads?! I pop open my dads '89 Jimmy at has the smaller thread sensor like I bought. I go up to our lawn ornament, broken '81 with '78 350, and it has the bigger one. The '81 using the old style sensor always read a little hot too. I don't understand why on a newer crate motor they would use the larger old style sensor hole. Anybody got any ideas what to do?

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]