Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time for another Blazer/Jimmy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cliffy, Nov 24, 2000.

1. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

I'm going to be buying another Blazer or Jimmy (doesn't matter which to me) and I was wondering a few things. I currently have a 71 Blazer (used to be a 72 Jimmy)and I want to go newer, but I don't want fuel injection. What was the last year of carberated Blazer/Jimmys???

The reason I don't want fuel injection is that I don't know how to work on it and Can't afford to be taking it to a shop. Also is it possible to buy a soft top for a 73-74 blazer and cut the roof off a newer one and fit the top on??

Also what is the going rate for a fully functioning one Not with power windows though, except the rear of course, but Hopefully with A/C and a heater that works.

Coil sprung 72 blazer currently recovering from arson.

2. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

WOW, nobody can help me here??? I'm shocked!!! and dissapointed.

Coil sprung 71 blazer.

3. Last year for carb is 1986. 1987 was first year for fuel injection TBI.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about the arson.
    86 was the last model year without TBI.

To the best of my knowledge, only pre 76 Blazer/Jimmy have the Shell extending to the driver/passenger area. Every year after that (76-86) Fits your requirements perfectly. Hope this helps.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

even after '87, the FI is TBI, so its sort of a cross between real FI and a carb, and its still pretty easy to work on.

90K5

6. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I don't think cuting the roof of a 75+ blazer is the best idea. You would have to re enforce the cab. Blazers with fully remouvable hardtops had stronger and more ridgid cabs. If you'd cut the top of a half cab blazer then the cab would be weak and would crumble for sure in a roll over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

7. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

Thanks for the info on cutting the cab and the carb guys. That's good to know. I've decided I'm going to get a 91 am going to run my current 3/4 ton running gear on it, with a 4" inch lift. Also I was thinking of swapping in my TH350 and NP205 I am running in my 71 and then selling the 71. I would just swap in the 10 bolt axles and sell it as a rolling chassis. Anyone ever try swapping in the 350/205 setup in a newer rig???

Coil sprung 71 blazer.