Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time for change?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greenie, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

I have an 89, see my profile for details. I am at a turning point, Do I sell my 89 and upgrade to a 95 or newer?
    My 89 will need an engine, it still runs, paint, cowl hood, and some interior items like seats, there is only a small amount of rust near the tailgate hinges, no big deal. I figure a $4, or 5,000.00 to complete. I paid $8500.00 for it in 93. Do I sell it and upgrade. How about some input. I paid cash for it and do not want payments. I have the cash to fix it, or sell and and apply the cash to a newer one. HELP.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

id say keep it and fix it up, just think if people kept their old muscle cars from the 60's instead of selling them to "upgrade" there would be a lot more sweet hotrods runnin around

when i think of "upgrading" i think of the next modification i can do to my blazer to make it better.

3. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

I'd say keep it too. Whenever my Blazer ticks me off, I look through the Want Ad and realize it's either parts to buy or payments to make. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif May as well stick with it, I've come this far./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Admit it, you'll miss it anyway /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. gruveb

gruveb Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have an 89, see my profile for details. I am at a turning point, Do I sell my 89 and upgrade to a 95 or newer?
    My 89 will need an engine, it still runs, paint, cowl hood, and some interior items like seats, there is only a small amount of rust near the tailgate hinges, no big deal. I figure a $4, or 5,000.00 to complete. I paid $8500.00 for it in 93. Do I sell it and upgrade. How about some input. I paid cash for it and do not want payments. I have the cash to fix it, or sell and and apply the cash to a newer one. HELP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say keep it. If you buy a newer one you're getting into a vehicle that you're not familiar with. Buying a used vehicle is buying someone else's deferred maintenance problems. You're aware of exactly what your 89 needs and that in and of itself is half of the battle.

I recently did the same thing. I had an 83 Bronco that needed a lot of work and I decided to upgrade. For what it would cost me to fix the Bronco, I could buy exactly what I wanted, so that's what I did.

The Blazer has the foundation of exactly what I want, but trying to figure out the specific problems that it has has been a wild-goose chase. Nothing serious, but still. It's a PIA because I'm unfamiliar with what is going on with this thing. I didn't put it together and am rather lost at times.

If you've got the dough to repair what needs to be done, do it to it. Why invest your money and time into another vehicle that has lots of unknowns when you've got a decent handle on what you're got.

But then again, once I find a vehicle that I really like, I keep it. That's why I have 2 camaros I guess. Who needs TWO? So, take my advice with a grain of salt.

5. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

OK, I will keep it. Beats payments. I do like it. I have never kept any set of wheels this long. I do not want to start all over again.
    Thanks for the input

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Keep the 89. 95 would be IFS, and I much reather have a SFA truck.

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Another vote for keep it

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I vote for keeping it too, as NOBODY makes a vehicle I would be 100% happy with....I upgrade everything, and hate payments also....

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Keep it and build it excally how you want it, NO one really thinks a stock 95tahoe is COOL! but show up in a deceltly build blazer and HMM THAT THING IS AWSOME!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Keep it and build it excally how you want it, NO one really thinks a stock 95tahoe is COOL! but show up in a deceltly build blazer and HMM THAT THING IS AWSOME!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif So true, people even do that to me in my POS Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif