Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time for electric fans, whos done it??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NITRO, Jul 7, 2002.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Im puttin on dual electric fans. im gonna leave the smaller one running the whole time and put the other one on a temperature sensor so it will do its own thing. i will also have a switch inside to shut both off for water crossings. what all will i hafta do?? fabbing up the mounts will be really easy. im just wonderin bout the electrical system. i have the stock alternator. will this work?? Thanx

NITRO

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Got a question for you... why?

Why go electric in the first place? The "horses" its supposed to free up aren't noticeable at all. Electric fans dont pull/push anywhere close to what the proper stock setup does. How often do you encounter deep water crossings? I havent been at one yet that went as deep as my radiator fan.

I went with the Permacool 18" and it ran hotter during slow idling over rocks type wheeling. On the street it was fine, just when the engine was working and I was driving slowly, there just wasn't enough air flow to cool things down. I went back to the stock setup with a new fan shroud from LMC Trucks and I couldnt be any happier.

Amazing how much air is pulled with a proper stock setup.

3. JeepnDave

JeepnDave Guest

I went with a 16" fan that pulled 2350CFM (actual)on my jeep. It was loud, and it did not cool anybetter than the stock fan without shroud. After forgetting to turn it on a couple of times and complaints from fellow trail riders, I reinstalled the stock fan (without clutch) and a fan shroud and now it stays at 200 degrees with a 195 thermostat. I'm going to install a clutch fan just to see if there is a difference, but I'm not going back to electric. I have my old 16" for sale.

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

well, i have and do encounter these types of water crossings and it throws the sh!t all over my engine compartment makin it even harder to get clean. Plus,wouldnt two pull twice as much?? these are rated at 5500 cfm together. it was just an idea and i got both of the fans already. i might try it, and i might not.i see where ur comin from on the whole forgettin to turn on the fans. but i already got a switchboard and i hafta turn on various other things already to even start it. How exactly were ur guys' set up???? Hell, i might just go get a flew-a-lite with a clutch. Thanx

NITRO

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OK Ill chime in and be the only fan of electric. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif Dry joke, VERY dry. LOL! I am not sure what size mine is but it pretty well covers the radiator core. I have it wired on low speed for now and have no problems surviving Florida summer heat. Ill wire it to go to high when I get the A/C back together. I wont go back to mechanical.

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

if i do it, i think i will hafta up the amperage on the alt. it can barely pull its own weight now, let alone with 2 electric fans.

pureinsanity-how and to what wire did u wire the fan up to? i want them both to come on when i turn on the truck, but ill only let the little one run continuously.

NITRO

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I hooked mine up using a 30 amp relay and a thermostat switch. I bought them both from Advance auto parts for like $20. Just follow the installation directions and its a breeze. Tap into the radio fuse so it will only come on when the ignition is on. I used one as a pusher and one as a puller. Worked great until I went through some deep mud and it clogged up the fan causing it go off balance and thrashed my radiator. Thank goodness for lifetime replacement warranty's
    Brent

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I used a 19" Black Magic fan and had the same experience as Waxer. Went back to a 19" flex fan and a shroud and will not go back to electric. The Black Magic fan is for sale now, but will really only cool a 4 or 6 cyl, it wasn't enough for a small block, even with a BB 4 core radiator. </font color>

9. Pure Insanity

I wired it directly to the battery w/ a relay triggering off of an unknown keyed wire. I havent got a clue what the wire went to but it was there and convenient. LOL! The relay is secured to the fan shroud. When I get the A/C back in Ill wire in a second relay to run the other wire for high speed. I am not sure Id have to look but I might have run the neg. wire thru the relay. You may be able to see the wireing in the pics of it in my album.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

GM's been cooling 350's in cars with smaller grille openings than our trucks for over 15 years, so them not cooling well is crap. The aftermarket fans are the problem. GM electric fans (the paired setups) have been tested to flow over 5000CFM, which I'm sure is more than the clutch setup.

Besides, the advantage is ALWAYS to the electric fan at idle, as the clutch fan only pulls air based on how fast the engine is turning, electrics are NOT tied to engine RPM besides the alternator of course. Gonna fix that problem (low output at low RPM's) as soon as I can find overdrive alt pulleys. Not too often you hear about problems with cooling at cruise.

Don't worry about running one, I'm not going to. Of course my wiring harness is setup for electric fans, but thats beside the point : )

11. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

so, u think mayb i should go wheelin a few more times and try to like the engine fan?? hell, its worth a shot. but i would still like to say that i have dual electric fans, kinda makes u feel special /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

NITRO

12. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I've had both and electric is the only thing to use FOR ME. I also get into the water and mud and my 400 was always much hotter with the stock setup then with my electric.

The best fan setup I have found yet is a dual speed of a newer model Ford Thunderbird or Lincoln Mark VIII Mine came from a lincoln and measures 21" and moves more air then I could ever need. No reason to run duals or a pusher. All I run in the single dual speed fan pulling air. Mine barely goes over 220 even in the sand.

13. Pure Insanity

Thats the fan I run. Mines out of a V8 Tbird. I run a 160 thermostat, and a little 2 core radiator. I have gotten above 160 (on a mechanical gauge) only a few times. I have driven in stop and go Tampa Fla traffic, in the afternoon, and it never got above maybe 170. With this fan on high speed, I need to keep small children away from the front of PI for fear of them getting sucked in. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Thats why I have it set on low for now.

14. 425 Xpedition

425 Xpedition 1/2 ton status

Been running dual Black Magic fans since last summer. The motor stays cooler in traffic and the A/C works alot better at idle.

15. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Im gonna see if i can go ahead and get the electric fans installed tomorrow. ill go muddin then and get to try out the fans and the snorkel /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

NITRO

16. Pure Insanity

BTW Has anyone ever seen what happens when a solid mount flex fan goes in the water? Unless you have some decent room it will pull forward like a boat prop and tear the crap out of the radiator. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

17. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I too run the newer TBird electric fan on my 415, wired to a 30 amp relay which is triggered by the ignition. I'm currently having it run slow all the time and have a switch to kick it into higher speed with another 30amp relay until I can get a thermostatic switch in there. Can't say its any louder than my flex or clutch fan was but the cooling has been more consistent. In fact, it runs cooler now than ever both at idle and under heavy load.

18. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

so how much r these t-bird fans?? sound pretty interesting

NITRO

19. Pure Insanity

WELLLLLL, I was a body man at a Ford dealer when I got it and we had a Tbird come in that was hit in the front and totaled. The fan survived other than a chip on the shroud. Perfect price....FREE! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Be sure to get the plug and a stub of wire that comes off it.

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I run 2 electrics, 1 puller and 1 pusher. The puller is a 2-speed from a mid-90's Taurus (I'd bet it's the same as the Tbird and Mark VIII), the pusher is a tiny one from a 90's LeSabre. Right now I only have "high" wired in for the puller, and like PI said, it'll suck small children in! This thing kicks the crap out of my old clutch fan, and I'm not running any real shroud yet, just cut up the existing electric shroud and fabbed in angle iron mounts.

I have high wired to a switch in the cab right now, both speeds through a pair of 30/40 amp relays. The fan circuit is wired directly to the battery, the switch for the relays runs off a constant hot from the fuse box. One day I'll put a shroud in and a thermostatic switch... I'd run it off a constant hot anyway, depending on where the thermo switch is. If it's in the radiator, it won't kill the battery to let it run til it cools off the standing coolant in there.

If I turn the AC on with the fan on, I watch my voltmeter dance on the edge of Red. I'm also running a stock alt, with a decent sized amp and radio. I figure even if I just get a 120 amp alt from a Caprice or something, it'll still have a little more breathing room than the current alternator. I'm also thinking about a way to add a second alternator with a second battery to move most of my electric accessories to. I have a ton of electric crap I like to have...