Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time for exhuast

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Oct 23, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I'm debating on whether to go with pipes going from the manifold back and running 2 flowmasters with no cats.. or just no cat and a single inlet dual outlet flowmaster...will the 1st option be alot louder? I don't want too loud.. but noticible =D and a noticible performance gain. Will not having cats create insufficient back pressure, or will it be good? Thanks.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next... off with the cat's and a single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Leave the cats on there. They really helps it sound better. I have friends that have taken them off, and it makes their cars and trucks sound like crap.

90K5

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have a buddy that had a '63 Impala SS with 2 inch dual exhaust with no cats and about 12 inch glasspacks. That car was LOUD. It sounded really good at idle and at cruise, it was very noticable (car & exhaust). When he opened it up though you could here him coming from a 1/3 of a mile or more off. He had no expanded tips either. Just food for thought.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you leave the cats on there, don't get any kind of muffler or it'll sound like crap.

I'd cut it off if you can. IMO it's the only way to fly!!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

5. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

i would put true duels with two cats so it will get inspected, and no mufflers because straight pipe is less restrictive then any muffler. I have this with 2.5" pipe and a 3.5" tip and it sounds mean at idle and great on acceleration.

6. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Hmm, so true 2.5" duals with just cats and no mufflers sounds really good, better than 50 or 40 series?

Oh yea, headers or the stock manifolds?
    ----------------------------------
    soon to have a blazer/jimmy<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by anatomiczero on 10/23/01 09:26 PM.</FONT></P>

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Straight pipes sound better than any muffler on the market!

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What??
    Ok which one sounds bad? Cats with flows or no cats and flows... ? I was thinking without cats it would be less restrictive...I can pass inspection without cats they dont care. So that doesn't matter to me.. i want it to sound really good but not too loud and i want it to give me the most MPG increase and most HP increase...

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next... off with the cat's and a single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D

9. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

for headers, all pipes, 4in tips, 2 2 chamber mufflers from flowmaster, 2 highflow cats and install for around 800... hwo does that sound? Should i just stick with taking off the cat or a highflow cat and doing a catback with a single inlet dual outlet muffler? with 4in tips? Thanks how muhc hp and mpg can i expect to gain when comparing the catback with tru duals

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like too much money. Buy two flows, the headers, and the exhaust kit for under $300 like I did.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. is it just me, or when you take off catcons the exhaust becomes really smelly and nasty, especially in a vehicle prone to letting exhaust in the cab......????

greg (fixing to rip my dual flowmastered exhaust out for a nice 3" cat-ed quiet exhaust..... i like 'em quiet,,,,,