Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

time for gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bUrLyBlAzEr89, Aug 2, 2002.

1. bUrLyBlAzEr89

bUrLyBlAzEr89 Registered Member

well i guess its time to get some gears for my truck? i got 33 12.50's 10 bolt 350 tbi and was wondering what would be the best gear ration im thinkin a 4.11? i dont know though or would i be better off upgrading somewhere else? <font color="red"> </font color>

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Unless it's been swapped, you have a 4L60 overdrive tranny. 4.10's are awesome with 33's and acceptable if you ever go to 35's. 3.73 is acceptable with 33's if you score a good deal or don't have overdrive.

Sometimes swapping axles is cheaper than gear changes. Quality new gears are better than used, though. You have the nice 30-spline 10-bolt so using older axles would cost you a bit in strength.

If you want a locker/LSD, it's best to do it at the same time as gears.

3. bUrLyBlAzEr89

i already got a locker in he rear its a detroit tru-trac

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

No you have a POS limited slip that will break on you some day. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i have the exact setup you are talking about, and it does great with the OD on
    the hwy at 70 mph, and has lots of low end torque for slinging mud.
    my rear is an older 28 spline 10 bolt with a lock rite and upgrade yukon axles
    no serious of roading, but has held up nicely over the past 1 1/2 years
    when you make the gear change install some new dana spicer greasable
    ujoints

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I was pretty sure that they ran the 700R4 through '93 and in 94 GM went to the 4L60E. And aren't they basically the same except that the 700 uses a TV cable and the 4L60 is electronic? Anyway, what gears do you have now burlyblue? Gear choice will also depend on whether or not you plan on going with bigger tires and how much highway driving you will be doing. If you are staying with 33''s I would say that 4.11's would be a good choice.

7. bUrLyBlAzEr89

gt4 = 3.73 gear i guess is that a alright gear if i stay at 33s? and should i stay im staying w/ 33's or should i invest on something else like axles even though i have 30 slines? i sorta wanna get a lift but that costs alot. i need imput

8. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

my 89 has the 700 stock, and i also think they kept the 700's for a few more years, cause in 90 they went from the mechanical speedo to electronic, i had to go through all this a year ago went i got my new crate engine tranny and xfer case. and then in the mid 90's they swapped to the 4l60 and 4l80 trannies.
    bone yard axles with the right ratio will be alot cheaper and easier to swap, cause you can make the swap yourself. key is to find a good axle, and if all your brake stuff is in good shape just swap everything. also try to keep the year models the same, they changed from 28 to 30 splines i think in the earlier to mid 80's. I had to swap my axles, and got an older one, so i have 30 splines up front and 28 out back. only difference it makes for me is when i put in my lockrite, i ordered a 28 spline, and then a few months later i put in new shafts, and had to stay with 28 splines or spend another 400 on a new lockrite.
    wow that was long
    good luck, and 373 is not bad with 33's will help with mileage if it spends a lot of time on the road

9. Blue85

The TH 700R-4 became the 4L60 and then the 4L60E, all a progression of the same tranny. The 4L60 still uses the T/V cable. The 4L60E does not. I am not sure which years they changed the designations. I just know that I have always heard the 89-91 K5's have 4L60/NP231 (or is it 241? I forget, but the successor to the NP208, anyway)

10. Blue85

A true-trac will not equalize your braking force like a spool. It doesn't matter, though, because it's not a serious idea anyway.

11. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

my stock 1991 K5 came with a 4L60E (700R4) and a 3.42 10 bolt L/S POS and a mechanical gauges. I swapped the "ready to grenade" 10 bolt POS out for a 14FF w/4.11's and slapped 35"s on and with the overdrive, i wish i would have went 4.56's. It's not bad, just wish i had more grunt off the bottom rather than drag my overdrive @ 65mph and damn near burn up the 700R4 that they're notorious for. 33's and 4.11's would be good, in MY opinion. If there is ANY possibility that you may keep the truck for a while and move up to 35's, i'd say go with 4.56's and do it once. yeah, you wont be screaming over 110mph with the 33's and 4.56's, but for the time being, you'll be able to pull holeshots at will and yank swamped "Found On Road Dead"s out of the mud while idling! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Good luck.

- Jersey

12. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

do you think running 36x14 tires even with a tranny cooler would push overheating a 700r4. i have an 85 with 10 bolts, not sure what gears are in it now.... but the truck was pretty much stock when i got it.

thanks,
    matt

13. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

do you have overdrive? if you look at the codes usually found in your glove box, you can find the one that tells what ratio you have. or do the "spin wheel, count driveshaft turns" method. If you have 3.42's like i had and put 36" on there, yeah, i'd say you'd you be straining her a little, even with a cooler. If you do go this route and have 3.42's, i'd never use overdrive unless you were doing over 90mph and make sure you hook up a tranny temp gauge. These 700R4's heat up pretty easily, in my opinion. Good luck.

- Jersey

14. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

alright thanks... typically i drive 40 to 50 mph and at max 75 on highway, i usually dont drive on the highway for more than 10-15 minutes when i do, and never use overdrive.... if i cant find out the first way you mentioned to check the gears i have, i'll just have to wait... i want to change out the gear oil in my axles before i go to bigger tires, plus just to replace the gaskets too. by the way, about how much gear oil will i need to refill one axle?

thanks a lot,
    matt

15. bUrLyBlAzEr89

prob. two jugs

16. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

thanks,
    matt

17. Blue85

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    how much gear oil will i need to refill one axle?

[/ QUOTE ]

The amount is the same for any axle: 1 pint more than you bought /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

18. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

My 10 bolt typically takes the better portion of 3 quarts.

John

19. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

yeah, you can read the ratio right off your ring gear when you're changing the lube. no gaskets needed. just use some silicone. I have my gear oil in a big container so i really don't know the exact amount it (use to) take with my 10B, but if i remember correctly, it was around 2-3 quarts. Fill it until it starts dribbling out of the fill hole.

- Jersey

20. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

88 was the magic year for the spline count change. You could either get 28 or 30 splines that year. I think it all depended on what the Canadians wanted to stuff under the truck that day as to what you got.