Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time for new exhaust, opinions please ...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

This is for my '84 K5, with a 350 SBC and 2 1/2" suspension lift (see profile for more details)

Right now, I'm running old, nasty headers into 2 turbo II mufflers, and out the sides. This is true dual setup, with no cats.

I would like to replace the headers, put in a Y pipe, run a single high flow cat, then a 3" pipe back to a flowmaster with dual tips.

The sound I am looking for, is one that is throaty when the gas is hammered, but fairly quiet when idling, or just cruising around town.

I checked out the 40's, 50's, 70's, etc .... but I can't determine which of these will have a 3" inlet, and dual outlets; and also, which ones will give me the sound I am looking for.

Any help/opinions/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thomas.

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

hmmm, i'm not exactly sure which flowmaster muffler i have (i'll try and find out). mine is a single exhaust (all the way) hi-flow cat with a flowmaster muffler. it's pretty quiet at idle and (doesn't sound real throaty, to me anyway) sounds real good revved up or going down the road!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif i was going to tee it off after the cat, but (1, it would cost wayyyyyyyyy more, and 2, in my eyes saw no performance benefit), so i just decided 3" all the way. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thomas..
    I just put a Flowmaster Series 40 on my Blazer.. ran 3 inch pipe all the way back.. and had a new Catalytic converter put on.. Talk about performance gain.. and gas mileage..
    The Series 40 is the mild one of the bunch .. I chose it because I didn't want something to loud at idle.. and it sounds great when you get on it..
    Ross's Mufflers in Leander did my work.. New cat, Flowmaster and some new pipes.. cost me $317.50 w/ Labor.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You know, my friends dad has an '881/2 ton(?) pickup, and a previous owner had removed the muffler, but left the cat in place. Actually sounded quite nice...like you say, quiet at idle (but you could hear the "rumble" of the V8 if you will) and when he got on it, you could hear it moreso than stock.

Personally not a real fan of "hearing someone get on it" to me that sounds like "police come ticket me!" I'll go for subtle as long as its not too restrictive. As long as you are getting performance out of whatever you do, have at it. I put a pair of cheapy lifetime Schucks mufflers on my last K5 (305 true duals) and it sounded almost rice-burnerish when I got on it. A little too high pitched and almost sounded like a rattle. Not horrid, but if it was any worse, it probably would have annoyed me. Seems that tone is one of the harder things to get "right" in exhaust systems.

5. Stoopalini

Hey Steve, thanks for the reply. If you could find out the series of that flowmaster you have, that would be great /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I think I may go with the Flowmaster 50 series; if they make it with a 3" inlet, and dual 2 1/2" outlets.

Does anyone currently run a flowmaster 50 series? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has one.

One of the reasons I want to have a 3" with one muffler is price; but my thought on this is that if I get the pipe routed on the passenger's side of the vehicle, then it will be in line with the front differential pumpkin. So when I'm picking out a line on a rough trail, I know the driver's side of the vehicle will be clear all the way back. Not to mention maintance cost's in the future ....

Thomas.

6. Stoopalini

Hey Rocko,

I actually have a 40 series on my Camaro with a 3" pipe and high flow cat. I love the way it sounds on the Camaro, but I don't want the truck to be that loud. Especially with the TH350 tranni. When I get up to 65mph, those RPMs are really turning.

The series 50 is what I'm thinking about going with. It's a little milder than the 40 in loudness; but according to Flowmaster's web site, adds the same performance increase as the 40 series.

I really like the sound of a car/truck where the header noise is almost louder than the muffler noise. So a nice set of headers and a relatively quiet muffler, should get me the sound I'm looking for.

As far as Ross', you don't want to get me started on him! He's one of the main reasons I need to redo the exhaust in the first place! Gimme a call and I can tell ya the whole story.

Dorian,
    I completely agree with the "Hey cop, come pull me over!" loudness; but that's not what I want at all. I just want to be able to hear it growl when I open up the secondaries on the carb. I've heard of people running just cats and no muffler, but I've never heard it for myself. I can't see how it wouldn't be loud though ...... I guess I would have to hear it.

Later,

Thomas.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah I *think* that was single 3"....I know it was a single pipe, but not sure of diameter. Pretty sure it was 3".

I'm surprised it wasn't louder too, but it wasn't...I guess if you don't give it the large chambers to reverberate the sound in, you don't end up with the same results. The stock length pipes probably don't hurt either, but I'm not a sound engineer : )

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'm running headers, and a 70 series Flowmaster with no cat. I wanted a sound like you are after. For Me the 70 series worked out perfict. It is quiet at idle and when crusing or going down the freeway but sounds great when you get on it and under acceleration. It sounds Powerful not loud.
    I know they make them in the single in dual outlet type. I was considering that type but I decided to keep it simple go 3" all the way
    Go to their Web site <a target="_blank" href=http://www.flowmastermufflers.com>flowmastermufflers.com</a>
    They have listings and applications for all their mufflers there. You can get the exact number you need.

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Wherever you decide to get it done at, don't go to Ed's Mufflers off of Burnet road. He advertises that he does custom exhaust work but from the looks of my duals it was his first time! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Anyway, I have <a target="_blank" href=http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/ES/ESFT/fWrlkCut.html>Flowtech Warlocks mufflers</a>. They have plugs at the back for open exhaust(ie cut-outs) but when they are capped off they sound quieter than 50 series (three chamber) flowmasters.

10. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I have a flowmaster 3 chamber with 3'' inlet and dual 2 1/2'' outlets and it came in a kit with all of the pipes prebent (must be welded) from Summit for around $240. The two chamber sounds much better IMO. And there were a few issues with the pipes clearing my drivers side shock and the rear shackles (I have a shackle flip) after I installed the lift.

11. Stoopalini

Do you remember the kit #? I was checking out Summit's flowmaster kits, and found the Force II, which uses a 3 chamber; but they don't list it for an '84.

I wonder how much of a difference there is in exhaust routing between an '84 and an '87 .....?

I have ORDs 2 1/2" shackle flip installed with RS-9000s. How did you resolve the problem with the rear shackle on the driver's side?

Thanks for the info ....

Thomas.

12. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I can't find my receipt, and couldn't find the PN on their site either. There shouldn't be any difference in routing from 84 to 87, they both have the same trans and T-case and all. Since I had the system on when the truck was stock, I had to cut the pipe off at the muffler and make a few other cuts after that and then just rotated the peices untill they fit right and re-welded them. If you are installing this kit after your shocks and shackle flip are installed (which you would be) You can just rotate the pieces into the proper position from the start. If I had it to do over again I would have got the 2 chamber. But hey, at least it doesn't sound like a washing machine when I stomp on it anymore!

13. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm running the 50-series. They are perfect!
    It's more deep than loud till you get on it. It's not a quiet muffler, but it's not a loud muffler.

14. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

i'll try and find out from muffin mufflers what series muffler i have. i'd say all in all, it cost me about $600 for parts and labor. basically they ran the exhaust from the collector's back into the cat, muffler and it exits on the driver's side. i also had them add 2 "O2" sensor ports which have a plug in them now (this will be for an aftermarket O2 sensor/guage so i can tell how it's running), and they welded a tube on the lower part of the header so i can plumb into this hose, that is where i have to plumb in the exhaust for the EGR valve. anyway it looks great and they did a hell of a job (kinda pricey, but you get what you pay for and i wasn't going to skimp on my exhaust) i'd take some pictures of it but i really need to get it jacked up so i can get a better view.

15. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

i just installed new exhaust, its true 2 1/2 inch duals to dynomax super turbos and turndowns right before the axle, i also have headers. It sounds really nice when you get on it but idling and cruising on the highway its nice and smooth.