Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

time for the machine shop

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jpdrake, Mar 21, 2007.

1. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

have any of you rebuilt your 350? ive got mine naked now time to go get it cleaned and machined so i can reassemble and be running by summer. how much do you think it will cost to clean block and heads, machine block heads and polish crank? any of you gone through this?

DSC00022.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Where'd you get the trays to line out all the parts?

3. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

http://goodson.com/
    they have absoulutly every thing you need tool wise to rebuild an engine. im restoring mine to original to give back to my mother. so every thing had to stay in order so when i rebuild it dosent wear down and has a longer life. great website though, thats just one of a few good websites ive found.

4. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

couldn't you just call your machine shop.
    Prices vary around the country.

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Around here theres a pretty good shop that does the "block prep" which is hot tank, bore/hone, freeze plugs, and cam bearings for $189. Another shop around here charged me $225 to completely rebuild by heads.

6. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

what part of mass are you in? i went to ABT in hopkington, ma to get my block bored out. they did an awsome job. it got tanked, tested, bored 0.030, new high performance bearings, freeze plugs, line bored, crank balanced, piston rods balanced... the works. ended up around $850 i got the number if you want it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  7. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

im on the cape yeah i guess i could call the machine shop or even go there but i hate to waste someone time if i dont have the $ to back my mouth.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it cost me $345 to check the line bore, bore it .030 over, install cam bearings and soft plugs, hot tank and grind the crank. i asked them about polishing my crank as it wasn't that bad at all, and they said it will most likely comeout out of round. its worth the $105 to have it done knowing its right.

9. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

That's quote worthy...:haha:

10. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

$105 seems like a lot to get my crank polished!!! lmfao

11. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

then again $105 to get my head cleaned out...some cant complain about that!!

12. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would hope for potential business they wouldn't look at it that way, just tell them your looking for potential work to be done, and want to know how much it will cost if needed.

13. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

well i just dumped $750 for a deposit at the machine shop. they told me it would cost between 1500-2000 to clean, bore, rebuild heads (3 angle valve job and new sleeves), grind crank, all new cam lifters valves push rods pistons rings oil pump and gasket set. then they told me it will take over a month. i hope i get it back before summer i figure it will take me two weeks(2paychecks) to get it running when i get it back. $2000-2500 for another 100,000miles seems ok i guess.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What is the actual price breakdown? Sounds a bit pricey, but maybe that's labor or something? $800 for all the machine work sounds about right, $100 for pistons, $25 to grind the crank, cam/lifters if flat tappet maybe $125, pushrods are what now, $35 for a decent set? rings no clue, oil pump maybe $35, gasket set maybe $75 with head gaskets, bit more with a one piece pan gasket.

I'd ask here how the price for each compares...they might really be taking you for a ride on some parts...I can't believe labor would add upwards of $700.

Time seems a bit excessive as well, 2 weeks at most.

15. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

yeah thats what i thought also. ive been going to these guys for 10 years now, (rotters/drums for $30). when i dropped it off today it was the 3rd one they got today. its just two old timers but they know their ****! they're gonna clean everything up check for cracks and if everything measures up, then they said they would give me a call in a week with the outcome and tell me what im looking at. they said im looking at about $550 in parts. it dose seem a little excesive to me but if i can get another 100,000 out of it i guess its worth it. they gave me a deposit slip that just said $750 cash, im gonna have to ask them for a detailed bill when they're done.

16. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

DANG!!! You can get a crate motor for $1500 and it comes with a 3 year warrenty. Not a balls out torque hog but a warrenty is always good. You aint gonna get that from a machine shop unless you have them put the entire thing together. Building motors now a days seems less cost effective than it used to be. O yeah, here are some links.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/1971---1985-Passenger-Cars-and-Lt-Dty-Trks-350-LM1-New-Goodwrench-Engine-10067353--P62C63.aspx

http://www.greenwoodchevy.com/engine14.htm

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They've already got the money, too late to look elsewhere.

I'm just wondering if you'd be better served going with new replacement heads or something, if the cost is upwards of $500 for the work on them, you probably would be. I'd want to see where all the cost is coming from.

My experience with engine builders around here is that they get pretty decent deals on the parts, I could do no better than they can, and I tend to believe that a good machine shop will only sell/recommend stuff that doesn't have people back in their shop angry about the performance. :)

18. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

well i knew i could go to autozone and pick up a crate for 1200. this is the original engine nobody but me and the chevy dealership have ever touched it, and im doing it as a restoration. so numbers matching i knew it was gonna cost more just wasnt sure how much more. at least i trust these guys to do a professional job.

19. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

You better get more than 100k out of your revuild. Motors built with modern rings, pistons, bearings, etc. should go 250k+ easily, as long as it is properly maintained.

EDIT: I'm talking about a FI motor or a proper carb setup. Idling and running rich will shorten bore life.