Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time to bitch about our last run

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by NoRulz, Apr 28, 2002.

1. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

Don't want to be too outta line here, but 2 things I'm going to complain about from the last run (Terminator)

After the run was over, everyone took off & left me & Shane (smp) by ourselves to find our way back. I'm not very familiar with all of these areas, & pretty much suck at navigating anyway, & I was kinda disappointed that everyone took off & left us behind. This was compounded by the fact that my death wobble was worse heading back than it was going to the trail, & I had to run a very low speed on the roads. Even more so that I had someone else from the camp riding with me, & I had no clue whatsoever where they were camped. Maybe I'm a little out of line on this, but I've always belived the group should stick together.

Second, I witnessed a cigarette butt get flipped on the trail. Being a smoker myself I'm kinda touchy about this one, since only a small percentage of us out there can be responsible for this. I didn't say anything at the time since we were working to get someone over a tricky part of the trail, & I'm sure at one point while thinking/working/whatever I've probably done the same thing & didn't think about it. If anyone ever needs somewhere to throw their butts, let me know. I usually have a pocket full of them to empty when I get back to the tow vehicle, & I have an empty cig-pack wedged in the roll cage between my seats that holds what I smoke while I'm driving.

Sorry about the bit of a rant here, but just stuff I felt needed to be said.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Oops, sorry about leaving you behind. I have no rear view mirrors so I did notice you weren't behind me until we were well on the way to the parking lot. I was tired from the long day and just focusing on driving (squirrelly on the dirt road at speed with no weight in the back and rear tires locking at a touch of the brakes) while talking. When I did notice, I just figured you guys had gone on to the camp or something. I also didn't know the area at all so I was just keeping up (breathing and peering through the dust cloud) to make sure I didn't get lost. Without a CB I couldn’t have called for a halt or return anyway until we got to the lot. If I had fallen back to check, we could have all been lost together! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Very good point though, I’ll try to be more conscientious in the future (and get my CB installed!). We should definitely stick together better.

I don’t know about the cigarette issue, I didn’t see it and I don’t smoke so I know it couldn’t have been me. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif However, in general, this was a very clean run. I didn’t notice any trash or bash problems.

Sorry about not keeping an eye out better. You were coming out behind me and I should have been watching closer.

3. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Matt,

I too am sorry that you were left behind, I was not aware of the fact that you were not behind the group heading out.

As far as the cigarette being thrown on the trail, that was probable me, and I too am apologetic, bad habit and I will reel in this bad habit when we are on the trail. Sorry /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. Please don't get too mad, I'm just a bad habit smoker.....:) I surely don't want you to get mad at me over this, but I am going to take responsibility over this and will promise you I won't let this happen again.

OK, now I have someting to comment about:

Since this happend to Matt, we shoud make sure that we don't let this happen again, but there is one thing that will keep this from happening again, and that is the use of either either the family radios or the CB. I always keep my CB on when we are on the trail, but I have noticed that this is not the case all the time with either me or others. To avoid having this happen again, we should all start using the CB on the trail and or make them mandantory for our trail runs.

The other thing we need to do before the run is to assign a trail leader and a tailgunner and make sure we all understand that no one get's left behind.

Comments?????

Rob

4. BadDog

Agreed, for the most part. However, I think only the leader and tail gunner should have mandatory CBs. The rest should be "highly recommended" IMO. I have everything but the coax and antena for mine (and of course the time to put it in) but I wouldn't want to make it mandatory for those who are "wheeling on a very tight budget".

5. therobzilla

Russ,

At the risk of starting up a very large discussion, first let me start off by saying how much I very much enjoy wheeling with everyone that I have met, and how much I like wheeling with each of you, so I don't want the next few statements taken in the wrong context.

1. Since we are not an "Offical Club", everyone has the right to do what they want to do, and or do do anything they want to do. So really, there are no rules.

2. I agree with Matt, that it sucks that one of our friends got left behind and no one knew, Especially me, since I was leading the trail ride to a certain extent.

3. I don't and will never leave anyone behind willingly. Ever, I hate this feeling, as it has happened to me a few time unwillingly.

4. As for the CB, to each their own, but as far as I am concerned, if their is not a way to communicate, and it's not a "Real Offical Club", and not everyone has CB's, then WTF???????

5. I consider everyone that I have met as a freind, and freinds don't leave freinds on the trail alone, or lost, or broke down, why do you think I carry so much extra stuff, so no one get's left behind, but how the hell am I suposto know what everone is doing or who is left behind, if we all don't agree on a way of communication. I normall leave my CB on when on the trail 24/7, but since I have wheeled in AZ, I rarely leave it on, due to the fact that not everyone has one to use, with some exception. I am not ranting about CB's but more over the fact that out of everything we spend our money on, probably one of the cheapest mods is a working and tuned CB and antena.

Trailleader and Tailguner, if it's not an official club, what's the point, is someone in the middle get's seperated, and the leader is around a corner and the tailgunner in around a corner you will never know if someone in the middle does not relay the message????

Point: We all carry a spare, we all carry some basic tools, why not a CB?? If you are asking someone to be responsiblie for making sure everone get out right, and someone esle does not care, on the same ride, is that right???

I in no way want to pi$$ off anyone, but this is what I think.

I can promise you one thing, I feel so bad that Matt got left behing, and I did not know it, I will never let this happen again to anyone we ride with no matter who has CB's or not....

Matt, I got'ya covered DUDE... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Russ, this statement is pointed at you by any means, more for everyone that reads this post.

Russ, I still think you and Mat are BIG DOGS /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. BadDog

Hey, no worries here. I basically agree with you. I just didn't want to eliminate someone from a given run just because of no CB. I need to get mine installed, and we all need to use them more consistently. I remember a couple of times on Terminator where calls were made on the CB (like when Allan was stuck near the end) and there was no response.

I take this as a "we need to learn from this" type thing. Not as a "somebody f#@#d up" kind of thing. This is a really great bunch of guys (can’t you just feel the warm fuzzies now?) and I look forward to wheeling again with all of you.

As for being “one of the Big Dogs”… Hehe, Matt is one no doubt. Me, I’m just trying to play in the same lot as the big dogs. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Maybe one day soon I’ll actually belong there. Thanks anyway, makes me feel like I’m at least on the right track.

7. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

I do have a radio in the truck, & it's almost always on. My problem is I it's a cheap POS & I have to keep the squeltch up so high to block out the noise from the HEI (Never pass up an opprotunity to blame it on the GM parts !) Anyway, I don't get range for [censored] outta it right now, probably ought to buy a new one someday. It's a seriously cheap POS, & I'm not putting my good one in a vehicle that open. Not to mention that antenna wouldn't get along with my good radio. I did try yellin out on the radio at one point, but in those hills, I'm sure I have almost no range at all.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

rob,
    i agree on the CB, i even have one in my metro...
    thats just the back-woods-boy in me though. and it is the one from in my blazer untill i get it running(over a year now /forums/images/icons/frown.gif )
    but some of us are on a tight budget and some folks can not afford one. i do agree on having a front man and a rear man. that is the simple souloution. i am in the same position as matt. i dont know the trails. i would have been just as lost as him if i was in the same situation. knowing how big of a heart you have i am sure you wont let it happen again. i know when i make it up there next i will try to help out in the same situation. also as for the trash and smoke buts, we all need to pick up trash as we see it. ours or not. if one of us slipps (it happens) then another of us needs to say hey man, dont to that. or just pick it up and move on. i wish i was with yall this last run. i am still waiting on my house. then i can start working on my baby again.
    hope to see yall on the trails again.
    grant

9. therobzilla

Grant,

I have said quite a bit on this topic, and I think I have pretty much stated my .02, and I agree on everything except a fundamental thing.

Here goes again:

1. We all have spare tires don't we? It's one of the essential things when wheeling, would anyone go wheeling with out a spare? I know I would not, and furthermore, if I saw anyone show up on a trail ride that I was on, and this someone did not have a spare, I would be all over it, is someone willing to give up there spare if the person that showed up without one flats, what if the persons borrows it and they slash it, now that person has no spare.

Whose responsibility is it to make sure the person that we are wheeling with gets out running, and or towed out???

There is a certain responsibility that comes with wheeling, and certain list of things that if you don't have you should not be wheeling, i.e. spare, lug wrench, jack enough to pick up your rig, basic tools, etc. this list could get rather large if you really wanted it to be. Basic is all I am talking about.

There comes a point when you are out wheeling with a group that the responsibility of a person breaking down becomes everyone’s responsibility.

Another "Could happen", actually has happened to a group I wheeled with back in GA before I was in a club.

Let's take Blazer Bash coming up in August as an example, let's say we all from AZ decide to caravan up together, and some of us are prepared for the trip, spare parts, money for emergencies, food, basic things needed to wheel and take a road trip, I don't mean a toothbrush and stuff, and lets say on the trip up, a person in our caravan blows a radiator hose or a fan belt, and this person does not have a spare hose or belt, let's say when you open the hood of this persons rig, the hoses and belts look like they should have been replace under PM a long time ago, due to the fact that Moab is 10 hours of driving, and everyone in the group say's, when was the last time you replaced you belt, and this person say's "OH it's been at least a year or two", how would you feel about this person holding up the group, because they did not prepare???

What if the same person gets to Moab and decides to hit the trials, since this is the general idea of going to Moab, and let say this person decides to take a harder trail, and blows a drive shaft and a front axle and has no spares, what now? Let's say this person has not enough money to find a replacement and nothing for the front axle, and they are driving the same blazer home. Let's just assume someone in the group has a trailer and this person asks if they can put their blazer on the trailer since it's broke and won't make it home, now it's the responsibility of the person with the trailer to find a way home for his ride, since it's not on the trailer, what if the person that trailer up his rig breaks down, what to do now, take the first guys rig off and leave it on the side of the road???

Do you see where I am going with this? I have no problems helping anyone out, but at what point do you say no and or at what point does someone else’s lack of responsibility become yours? Keep in mind; we are only a bunch of people that talk over the Internet, not an organized club with rules and guidelines. When someone lacks planning and or preventive measures, and we are not in a formalized club, then who takes responsibility??

Back to the CB issue, a CB and an antenna with the Coax can be had for around 30 to 40 bucks, a Uniden with a Firestick, and that includes an excellent antenna. CB's are a dime a dozen, federal law mandates that they are all the same wattage, and good reception can be had by adjusting the antenna, even with a cheap antenna.

It's just one of those things that have to be had like a spare tire.

I would be glad to help anyone on the AZ forum get there antenna tuned if needed, I have a SWR meter and have some basic knowledge.

CB's are just on of those items that you have to have if you wheel, kind of like a fire extinguisher.

Enough ranting, but as you can see, I got an issues with the whole "Don't think it should be mandatory thing". It's not mandatory, because we are not a club, just a bunch of people that meet online and like to get together and wheel. I you wheel with me and you don’t have a CB, I could care less, but I have a hard time with the whole “Limited budget” issue. I am on a limited budget like everyone else believe it or not, and sacrifice and savings for essential items is just on of the thing you have to do sometimes.

Grant, this is not directed to you personally by any means, and because I am running off on this issues does not mean anything other than I am running on about this issue, I promise you, all I really care about is when the next trail ride starts…. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rob /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. FWP

FWP CRS

Well, I've been silent up until now, just thinking about things. I like to wheel with responsible people. I would like to think that if we are in a group, and one person is not acting responsible, that it is brought to their attention, right then and there. There ought to be rules when wheeling. It's very important to keeping trails open, reducing the finger pointing that goes on from the environmentalists, not to mention delaying a fun trail ride to fix a truck that should have been in good working order to begin with. Sometimes unforeseen stuff breaks, and that's the nature of our sport. That stuff is unavoidable (Murphy's Law), and I like to help out in that case. What I don't like is fixing something that the driver knew wasn't working before he (or she) hit the trail.

On the CB issue.... Must have as far as I'm concerned. I've been wheeling way too many times, when someone in the back, without communication, got in trouble and couldn't contact anyone. Or the opposite situation, someone up front saw a problem ahead, and couldn't communicate it to the rest of the group behind him.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Keep in mind; we are only a bunch of people that talk over the Internet, not an organized club with rules and guidelines. When someone lacks planning and or preventive measures, and we are not in a formalized club, then who takes responsibility??

<hr></blockquote>

I think we should be more than just an internet group. Why not make an actual AZ Fullsize club?

11. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

I know i'm a little late on posting. I just wanted to say that it did suck to get left behind. That was the first time i had ever been in that area and thought i could find my way and it turned out that we did get lost and ended up doing a big circle just to end up where we started. All turned out ok but i knew and i thought most other people knew that Matt was having a problem with DW and said it would be a slow drive back but yet somewhere down the line someone lost track of the person behind them and did not notice. I'm sure we took it for granted thinking that everybody knew the way back and we will learn from this next time.
    As far as a CB i agree that it is allways a good idea for everyone to have one it would just make things like this easier. Oh yeah and learn how to set it up and use it correctly. I could not get through to anybody and found out the next day with Freds help (Thanks Fred you da man ) that my antenna had a bad ground and i could not get a good signal out.
    I to have a bad habbit with smoking and flicking butts and i do remember when i'm on the trail but i do forget time to time and will improve that from now on , because if there are 4 or 5 of us on the trail that forget about pocking 1 or 2 or 3 butts that adds up real fast and i know thats not what we want to happen on our trails. Without these trails we would not have a hobby.
    Thats all for now and i want everyone to know that i had a blast and i think we all get along great and we should have many excellent trips again.

12. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,
    I have to put in my two cents here. I was very dissapointed by the way we all got seperated, especially because I had planned for everyone to be able to try my "Shoyu Chicken". I was counting on others to bring everyone back to camp, because I needed to get back to start cooking. I am one of those that wheels on a very tight budget, and I don't plan to be doing any more runs untill I have a few things done.

Here's the list:
    1. Exaust system and tune up so I can pass emissions and renew my tags that have just expired.

2. Getting a CB installed.

3. Finishing my lift and solving my driveshaft issues.

4. Fixing my T-case shifter.

5. Bolting down my roll bar.

6. Purchasing a few spare parts.

I have been wheeling on borrowed time and have been uncomfortable with the fact that if anything broke that I would be imposing on others to bail me out. I know that some of you are happy to help, but I need to solve some of the issues with my rig. I know that I won't be able to make the run this month, but hopefully I'll be ready for a mid June run. Speaking of that what do you guys think about running up in the trees in The white Mountains or up in the Payson, Pine, Strawberry areas. It's much cooler up there in the summer. I'll start a new thread about it.