Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time to build a toolbox

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Apr 23, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Here's the deal, I need a toolbox to hold wrenches, fluids, parts, ect... I want to keep the rear sleeping quarters open for sleeping in the burb. I want a toolbox that goes against the inside wall and conforms to the inner fender. Aluminum would be the best compromise of strength and weight, but aluminum diamond plate is expensive and would probably be tricky to weld. Steel diamond plate is still expensive, and very heavy. Would it be a very bad idea to make a toolbox out of some sort of wood? If I bolted it down correctly, would it stand a chance of holding up? What kind of wood would work for this? Are there any other materials that would be cheap to work with?
    thanks,
    James

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

pvfjr is giving me ideas on IM... I may make strong frame out of 1" square tubing and use washing machine sheetmetal :thinking:

3. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

sounds good. break out the welder and cut-off tool and some snips. good to go.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well you've got all my input, now let's see what you come up with!

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

woodie...

If you decide to use wood,I'd use plywood..3/4" is heavy,but will not split into kindling if you drop or abuse it..you could use that perforated angle iron they sell at home depot to reinforce and bolt the corners together..

I like the idea of using the washing machine metal,its porcelain painted,and resists rusting quite well...maybe you could use an old freezer or icebox for a toolbox..I've seen some contractors gut refidgerators out,and weld a hasp on it for a padlock..instant tool chest!..:laugh:

I picked up some 50 cal. Ammo boxes from an army surplus store for 7 bucks a peice years ago..they can be bolted to the rear wheel houses,they are the about the same width..I had 3 of them bolted to my 72 K5's rear wheelhouse when I had it..does not waste any "bed" space,and holds LOTS of tools and spare oil,etc..cant beat the quality of military stuff!..

I had a plywood "bed" I made that sat on top of the wheelhouses too,and the corners supported by milk crates(more storage!)..that way I had about a foot of bed space under the plywood to store gear in,and I could sleep on top!...I used it for camping and going to swap meets,tractor pulls,etc..:crazy: