Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

time to buy a mini starter.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stevos67k20, Dec 1, 2006.

1. stevos67k20

stevos67k20 1/2 ton status

i have a 454 mated to a SM465 (stock bell housing) and a stock starter. it seems my headers are involved in some sort of snake-like a mating ritual with the starter and its caung my starter to get too hot. i dont think i have enough room for heat shield because of the headers groaping the starter so close. so i want to buy a mini starter(with a heat insulation). all the ones ive see so far are the kind that bolt up vertically to the bell housing and my starter bolts horizontally to the bellhousing, what are my options? the further below 200 dollars the better. anybody recomend anything? thanks a bunch.

Steven K.

anyone have pics of how its sopposed to look with the mini starter?
    heres what i'm talking about, its way worse in person: again thanks a lot for your help in advance
    [​IMG]

2. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Don't have pics of mine, but I also wrapped my headers and that helped with the heat issue I was having.

3. blazersnburban

blazersnburban Registered Member

that also helps the engine suck cooler air too,

4. stevos67k20

stevos67k20 1/2 ton status

thats what i plan on doing, but i still want a more powerful starter. the header tubes are awefully close to the starter. that was only one spot thats close too. what mini starter did any of you get? thanks

5. primergray4x4

primergray4x4 Registered Member

I put a summit mini starter on my bb with a mech haeet sleeve cut to fit over the starter. They don't catch on fire an the starter has lasted for years. The Green Mach starter cost to much I thought. Good luck with your choice, Your right theres not much room uunder there.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I got a powermaster XS starter on mine, but its a little over 200. Neighbor of mine has a 55 chevy w/ a 502 and he put a starter on it off a new chevy 8.1. Said it bolted right up, was less than 200, and its a factory mini-starter. Said it clears his headers just fine, might be worth looking into.