Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time to change all fluids

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Can I change the X-fer case fluid by myself? There's a slight "moaning" type sound when in 4wd, so i'm thinking new fluids. Also it took a while to get it out of 4. What about the tranny fluid? what is the precedure to change the diff, xfer and tranny fluid?

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Ive never done the t-case so someone else will have to fill you in on that one. The diff and the trans(auto) i can help you with. Before you get going you are going to need a new diff gasket, gear oil, a new trans gasket, filter and trans fluid(if its auto). for the diff, all you have to do is loosen the bolt holding the cover on and pry it gently free of the housing, you dont want to bend the cover. now is also a good time to do a quick visual inspection of all the internals of the diff like missing teeth on gears and metal in the fluid. to refill it, reinstall the cover and there is a plug on the axle that you can remove. thats where the new fluid goes, just fill it untill its full, and i think you might have to add an additive if you have a limited slip, someone else can clear that up maybe?
    For the trans, if its auto you have to take the pan off with all the fluid in it, really messy. a drain plug kit or a new pan with one already instaled makes future fluid changes much nicer. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif The best way to take the pan off is to loosen the pan bolts then pull one corner down to drain most of the fluid, this will let the most of the fluid drain out, making the pan much lighter and easy to take down. That pretty much covers it.

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

On replacing fluid in an auto tranny, I recommend doing a complete flush. If you just drain the pan, you're not getting all the fluid (most of the other is in the torque converter). A tranny place should do it from like $70 or you can do it yourself from what I've heard. Usually you unhook the cooler lines and let that run into a bucket while you refill from the dipstick tube. I've never done it myself though so I would ask someone who has.

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

The tcase is an easy process. If it's an NP208 (I assume), there are 2 plugs on the back. Just yank the bottom one, and let the fluid purge itself. As soon as it stops running out, throw the plug back in, then fill it back up using the uppermost hole. Fill with Dexron until fluid just begins to seep out of the hole, put the plug back in and DONE!