Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time to contact the forest rangers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Mar 28, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Some people I know (the young, irresponsible type) were up past my place just off the county road and tore up a field. It's wet and mucky everywhere this time of year. I wasn't around, so another two friends of mine got called on to pull out the other stuck rigs.

Some were not too happy about how the field was tore up. They also saw "Mountain Explorers 4x4" written on the two vehicles that were there to pull out the stuck rigs. So, this gets me linked into this now.

Never would I have driven into that field. For one, it's state land and right off the road, completely visible for all to see, leaving an eye sore for most. I talked with the people who live up the road, and they know me, and know that I wouldn't do anything like that. But still, I'm paranoid about getting a bad reputation.

Today, I was asked to help someone else get pulled out. Sure enough, the same field again. I told him, I didn't want to be involved in any damage to that field, but I went and pulled him out anyway.

I think it might be wise to contact the forest rangers in the area, and tell them about who the club is and what we are about. I also want to make it clear that we arent responsible for what other individuals may do. There are certain reasons I wont write the club name on certain peoples rigs.

I admit, marshy/muddy areas look tempting this time of year, but I always stay on my own land if I'm going to go spinn around or get stuck. If we go up the trails, we stay on the road or only where other vehicles have been, and never intentionally destroy any untouched wildlife or wetland areas.

2. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Write down plate #'s or call the authorities before you go to help them get out of their predicament. Tearin up a little land is fun; in the right place with permission. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    If we go up the trails, we stay on the road or only where other vehicles have been, and never intentionally destroy any untouched wildlife or wetland areas.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only everyone adhered to things like this. Half of the places I used to party in or shoot at are fenced off now. Always some people who don't care ruin it for everyone. I would wait and videotape it so you can say it wasn't you. Also mention it to the people you see that it shouldn't be wheeled on and you won't help if they get stuck AFTER you told them. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. mountainexplorer

Well, I tried writing up a little description about the activities we are in support of and not in support of.

http://www.mountainexplorers.50megs.com/contact.html

Does anyone find any major error in anything I wrote? I know that since it's written from my perspective, it is biased. But overall, any suggestion or things I'm leaving out?

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    No matter what you believe or how you view things, it should be common sense to respect public and private land, clean up after yourself and obey any posted signs or restrictions. It is us, as in the off-road community, who get blamed and criticized the most for damages to the environment, when it is us who have the deepest appreciation for it. Nature is what we seek to be in and enjoy the most; for our generation and those to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it. Got to get on the young guys . Teach them right , and if they are reluctant to do right, make sure they get reprimanded. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. mountainexplorer

I always try to tell those young'ns whats right, and what ought to be done. Though, in all reality, I'm only a few years older than them anyway. But it kinda helps out, cause I don't seem to them like a parent telling them what to do (even though thats what I try to be sometimes).

For the most parts, everyone I know is responsible. Just a few guys about 16-19 that have to get their rebellious/mischevious mistakes out of the way I guess.

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

at least their only tearing up feilds and not out stealing and stuff like that. I know what they are doing is bad but it gould get worse.

Nick

8. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm only a few years older than them anyway

[/ QUOTE ]
    What a perfect opportunity to "lead by example". By all means - contact the Ranger/LEO's and politly express your club's views on wheeling and such. Better yet - invite them (Ranger/LEO) to your next club meeting so they can see that you're an asset to the community - and not a liability.

Mike M.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Even tho you guys didn't do the damage.
    Maby you could contact the proper Gov agnency get permision and make it a club outing to go back and repair the feild.
    It would go a long way in restoring some lost respect people may have for your club.
    Putting those "Young irresponsible types" on a business end of a shovel is a good way to teach them a Tread Lightly lesson.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Just a quick thought

I think nothing in the world would do more good gor wheelers image then REPAIRING damage, or fixing dirt roads or potholes, or plating trees and whatnot

Not behaving irresponsibly is great, but actively helping is a great thing

11. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

Wheat field, or meadow up in the foothills around Spokane? Not that it matters, but know a farmer down in the Dayton area who had the same thing happen a few years back-couple of young kids out wheelin their new toy that mommy and daddy bought for them. Made it less than a hundred yards out into his wheat field before they buried it. Called a friend to try and get them out, who got stuck as well-guess what-farmer gets home from town, sees two trucks stuck in his field. Sure, they act all nice, and apologize for getting stuck, then ask him to get them out. He was "real nice" in helping them get their trucks out-one piece at a time, as his big 12 wheeled tractor pulled each piece off at a time, until there wasn't much left of the trucks! Then, as a "have a nice day", he slapped them both with something like $10,000 in damages to the field when they were done. Hell of a "lesson learned". Anyway, just a word of caution, I know you were trying to do the right thing by helping them out, I'd hate to see you get slapped with a fine like that because of some reckless kids. I agree 100% with Tread Lightly, but on private land, no matter how lightly you tread, you'd better have permission first and foremost, no matter what the reason.

Say, how's the snow level doing up your way?

Best of Luck,

Mike

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If people are out tearing up Forest Service land and ask you to help pull them out I would call the ranger first and only pull them out with his/her permission (probably after they show up and ticket the offender).

13. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

being the ex police and having handled calls just like this I would say .. call the ranger.. allan I read your write up and its right to the point...( although Im not christian I do believe in whats fundamentally right and wrong in our world... and trashing mother earth is wrong).. and kenny said it best.... you help an idiot and sometimes you can get bit for it... the best education sometimes is letting people be fully responsible for their actions..
    I liked the farmer story... and the 10k damage assessment...
    cam

14. mountainexplorer

[ QUOTE ]
    at least their only tearing up feilds and not out stealing and stuff like that

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't comment on that. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I have the "feeling" that there has been other past "no good" that they've been up to. That's why I don't hang around them all that often. Only time I usually see them is when they come up to say hi or to hang around a campfire etc. And when around me, for the most part they behave. They know I dont tolerate drinking or drugs around me or on my place. As for what they do elsewhere... well, thats why I stated that "individual actions" are his/her own responsibility.

When I helped pull out the one that was stuck last Sunday, I was paranoid about others seeing me there and associating me with the damage. I stopped and talked to the people that live up there again afterwards too.

I do want to try and now contact the local forest service, and find what roads are open for driving on legally, and see if we can "adopt" a couple trails or routes on the backroads that we would maintain. Last year, there was a section where some garbage was accumulating, and it only took me about 10 minutes picking up stuff here and there to get most of it. If a bunch of us made one trail run a year even to just pick up garbage, I suppose it would help.

Those with "Mountain Explorers" written on their rigs know to stay away from those areas now, and I also told them to try not to get involved in any other "rescue operations" if more damage is done illegally elsewhere.

The only private property we'll ever go on is either mine (or my brothers), or only spots with owner permission. Most of the land in the area is state land. I don't want to see it all tore up either. I like the scenery how it is. We only venture into certain mud spots that have been used as such (for driving through) for years. Even these spots could be in question though.

I always hate it when simple things become so complicated and "political". But I knew just a few of us driving around on the backroads would someday become more of an issue and grow into something like this is starting to be. So, I guess its time to deal with it.

Oh, and the snow level is diminishing. Up at my place... well, the family place in Ione, Wa which is 85 miles north of Spokane, there were only patches of snow here and there. Most of our field was bare, and muddy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I couldn't resist flinging a little mud myself... but in my field between the mud pits. That, at least is acceptable. If only my neighbors lived a bit further away. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif