Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time to do my first flywheel.....Going to need some help...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Jan 6, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Jul 1, 2002
    I went out and got a new starter. Pulled the old one and the flywheel is in bad shape. I would like to do this myself. I will be doing it in my rock drive way on plywood with basic hand tools. It is a 6.2 w/ a 400/208 combo. The one thing I am not to sure about is how do I get to the bolts on the very top of the trany? Other then that if someone could give me a idea how to go about this that would be appreciated. I never did work like this before. Sorry for it being so long. Thanks a lot Mike
  2. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Apr 14, 2001
    Although doable with your present conditions, it's not a simple task as changing the starter.

If it were me, I'd use a cherrypicker thru the passenger door as the transfer case or tranny are not exactly easy to "benchpress". With the floor panel removed, it will provide better access to the engine bolts.

Sound like your doing it in yout driveway. My driveway is now covered with 8" of snow! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

You might want to read the manual for the procedure /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif....it'll tell you little things that make it go easier like disco'n the battery which is a step that I usually forget.

Above all, be careful!!!!