Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time to haggle, or, price recommendations on engine and TF case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, I have a 350 sitting on a stand that I pulled from my 74 Blazer that I am redoing. I have decided to get a 383 stroker crate motor to swap back in. I have a NP203 that I will dump in favor of an NP205. Low and behold I run into a guy at work that has an NP205 sitting in his barn and coincidentally, is in the market for a 350 for his FJ40. So here is the issue. The 350 is supposed to have been rebuilt a year ago with mild RV cam. It has a Weiand intake and Edelbrock carb. We are talking about doing a swap with some cash thrown in. What is the going rate for an NP205 these days? In California SF bay area? How about a price for selling the 350? I see that you can get a bone stock crate 350 for around $1200 so price for a used 350 with some minor upgrades? Could I find an NP205 readily at the junk yard and how much would they charge me? Recommendations for the barter?

2. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Get 500$ and the 205 for the motor ..just my opinion , a good 205 goes for 250-400$ .............CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I think it would make a difference on what trans the t-case was attached to. As far as you are concerned, if the case is off of the trans you are using, it would be worth more to you than one that has to be "changed" to work for your setup.

I dont put alot of value into a used motor that someone "claims" (no offense) to have been rebuilt. If it I would say you should get some cash with the t-case, but how much depends on the t-case.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I agree with CC, maybe a little more money to boot. Of course, I am sure your friend will want to hear it run...

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'm not sure which 205 he has. He is bringing it for me to look at. I guess the attraction on his 205 is that it came from a wrecked rig with only 8000 miles on it. So, the wear should be minimal and it has been sitting ever since. I had considered an Atlas Highlander as an option as well so even with adapting the 205, it would probably still be cheaper. I have 2 TH350's sitting in my garage, one a K case and the other a regular one. I have been trying to decide whether or not to rebuild the K case or find a TH400 instead?

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My TH350 has been living fine behind my 454 and my 40" tires. If you keep it cool it will last. 205 are around $200 to $250 here from the yard.