Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Time to order the new exhausts (and other stuff)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ymatt, Jul 1, 2001.

1. ymatt

ymatt Registered Member

Hey all,

Well, I'm tired of not getting anywhere with UK American parts companies, I can't even get them to answer my e-mails, so I'm going to order my stuff straight from the States. Any recommendations for online stores? I may suffer on shipping cost and customs theft, but it could still work out cheaper, because the rip-off UK prices are much higher anyway (although the banks always screw you on the currency conversion).

Ah - I feel better after that little rant. [​IMG]

Anyway... I've decided to go for Hooker Super Competition headers, and from what I've read here, I should get them with the metallic ceramic coating. Am I right in thinking I need model # 2827-1 for my '78 K5?

I'm going for Flowmaster 40s (model # 42540), because I like what Jeff (solowookie) has said about them.

One problem, where do I actually get the 2½" true dual pipes from? Someone said I should get an H-pipe. From what I gather, most of y'all get custom pipes fabricated at an exhaust shop, but that's not an option for me out here in the middle of nowhere. The only thing I could find was the Hooker pipe set on Summit's site (part # HOK-16526), but I don't think they'll fit the Super Comps, and they are only 2¼". Is there a Super Comp 2½" set?

I thought Flowmaster did pipes for the K5, but I couldn't get past page 1 on Summit's site, so I don't know if they stock them.

A couple of other questions:

Will Rancho RS9000 shocks fit a non-lifted '78 truck? (It looks slightly lifted - the 33x12.50s are not too close to the wheelarches, but I couldn't see any evidence of a lift underneath).

Lara (muddin4fun), where did you get your 14 x 4" K&N Filtercharger air filter and stainless steel / chrome assembly from?

I should be able to get the rest of the stuff I need from LMC; my catalog finally arrived! BTW, in the Spring 2001 issue, there doesn't seem to be a Cheyenne-style 'bright brushed metal' aluminum dash bezel for the '78 model year, does anyone know where I can get one? (A/C version).

Thanks!

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

you know what you might want to call summit directly. you should be able to modify any kit to fit if you can do a bit of welding. should just have to cut the pipes a little shorter.

actually if I had it to do all over again I'd go with the 2.25" pipes instead. they tend to favor torque a bit more. I have another K5 (on-road not off-road) that I purchased, but it won't be delivered until mid July, and when I do the exhaust on it I will be going with 2.25" pipes.

question, do you have any kind of emmisions over there to speak of? if not LMC has a dual exhaust that might work. (don't know how good it is though)

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a Dynomax Header Dual kit that I got from Jeg's High Performance. Straight bolt on for a K5, no cutting. $100. Just add two of your favorite mufflers (mine were 12" long glasspacks) and 4 clamps and you're done. Best $100 I ever spent.

It's 2.25" pipe. As much as I think that I want bigger pipe, it's the most efficient.

AND IT'S LOUD!!! I've got Dynomax coated headers.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well a H Pipe or Ballance pipe is hard to do on a 4x4. Idealy you want to put a H pipe within 24 inches of the header flange and you want it to be as short as possible. Unfortunatly with a transfer case this becomes a problem.
    I have true duals on both my trucks and I don't have H pipes on them for this very reason. Your truck proably has the 203 case like mine so your going to have the same issue. H pipe really come into play at Higher RPM so the loss your going to see in a truck is going to be minimal.
    I also agree that 2.5 inches is a little much for a mostly stock engine. 2.25 will be plenty. Again the large diameter helps upper end HP but takes away from low end torq. TORQ is where it's at in a 4x4 not HP.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</A>

Grim-Reaper

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I've found that the dynomax kit is designed specifically for the dynomax headers. So it might not work with the hookers. I bought the kit for my K-5 and ended up buying new headers because there was just no easy way to make it work with my old headers (don't know what brand).

As far as the H-pipe goes, you can still put one on. I used the kit that summit sells along with the dynomax exhaust/header combo. The H-pipe has to go much further back than optimal, but it seems to still do the job fairly well.

6. ymatt

ymatt Registered Member

Jeff: No, AFAIK, you can modify your engine and exhaust pretty much however you like here, but that LMC exhaust is for stock manifolds, and comes with mufflers.

I've just checked, the standard Hooker Competition headers are 2½", as with the Super Competitions, so the Hooker exhaust kit #16528 may fit the Super Comps - I'll check with Summit.

That's it then; looks like Hooker part numbers 2827-1 and 16528, plus 2 x Flowmaster part number 42441. Cool!

Thanks again,

Yendor

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Try these for on-line stores:

http://www.jegs.com

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</A>